Pipe #3 Olive Wood Devil Anse

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BriarAndCane

Pipe #3 Olive Wood Devil Anse

Post by BriarAndCane »

Hi all, thanks so much for adding me to the forum, its incredible how much knowledge I have gleaned over the last couple months just through reading the threads here.

This is my third pipe, an olive wood devil anse with Japanese ebonite stem and integrated tenon. My next pipe will be a traditional billiard in honor of this fine group of pipe makers, however my main motivation for making pipes is to build the pipes that I've wanted, but could never afford, and the canted bowl just makes me happy!

Thanks!
Geoff Rice
Briar & CaneImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Emil C.

Re: Pipe #3 Olive Wood Devil Anse

Post by Emil C. »

Very nice. I've never seen a little devil in olive. I'm new here too and just started working on my 2nd pipe,a volcano. My first was l was going for a poker. Can't wait to see your next pipe. E.
BriarAndCane

Post by BriarAndCane »

Emil C. wrote:Very nice. I've never seen a little devil in olive. I'm new here too and just started working on my 2nd pipe,a volcano. My first was l was going for a poker. Can't wait to see your next pipe. E.
Thanks Emil! The only other one I've seen was by Tom Eltang and had a beautiful oval shank and stem. I have a good local source of olive wood so I've been saving my few briar blocks for special projects. I look forward to seeing the volcano, I've only seen a few! I like pokers a lot too, though I broke the first one I was working on and haven't tried another quite yet. It was inspired by Vermont Freehands olive wood poker/ cherrywood.

-Geoff

Adui

Post by Adui »

VERY Nice! Far better than my third pipe.
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
Massis

Post by Massis »

For third pipe, very well done. I sure as hell didn't make anything that nice in my first attempts.

Some things that my novice eye spots on this one:
1) the bowl is too wide (front to back wise), especially on the shankside of the stummel there is a lot of wood left that shouldn't be there. It's most noticeable on the little lump just above the shank.

2) the top of the bowl is a bit too rounded off. You want well defined, crisp lines. From the top view it looks pretty good, but from the sides you can see the edges curl in too much just before reaching the top

3) the shank & stem are too long for an anse. Especially the shank is rather long.

4) The stem should taper outward ever so slightly towards the bit, not inwards.

Take a look at this absolute stunner of a devil anse by Tom Eltang (which I'm guessing is the one you referenced), and notice the distinct shape of the stummel and the shortness of shank & stem.

BriarAndCane

Post by BriarAndCane »

Massis wrote:For third pipe, very well done. I sure as hell didn't make anything that nice in my first attempts.

Some things that my novice eye spots on this one:
1) the bowl is too wide (front to back wise), especially on the shankside of the stummel there is a lot of wood left that shouldn't be there. It's most noticeable on the little lump just above the shank.

2) the top of the bowl is a bit too rounded off. You want well defined, crisp lines. From the top view it looks pretty good, but from the sides you can see the edges curl in too much just before reaching the top

3) the shank & stem are too long for an anse. Especially the shank is rather long.

4) The stem should taper outward ever so slightly towards the bit, not inwards.

Take a look at this absolute stunner of a devil anse by Tom Eltang (which I'm guessing is the one you referenced), and notice the distinct shape of the stummel and the shortness of shank & stem.

Thanks Massis!! That's the critique I need to make me a better pipe maker! I love getting the praise, but I see something isn't right and I need help pointing out what, since I am so new. That Eltang anse is exactly what I'm referencing, I've seen him do it in olive wood as well, what a breathtaking pipe! Right now however I've got a couple stubby billiards in the works since I really want to go back and start from the basics.

Thanks again!
Geoff

scottygod

Post by scottygod »

Very nice. I’d like to get some olive, myself.