I failed at making a pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Sir_Saartan

I failed at making a pipe

Post by Sir_Saartan »

Ginger Pipe Maker asked me for a couple of pics of a pipe I made, so here we go:

https://pipesmokersdens.com/attachments ... jpg.67854/
https://pipesmokersdens.com/attachments ... jpg.67855/
https://pipesmokersdens.com/attachments ... jpg.67856/
https://pipesmokersdens.com/attachments ... jpg.67857/

These are some major flaws I have easily identified myself, which makes this a shop pipe for sure.
That being said: I am not going to sell pipes. I am aiming for making them good enough to
be a gift to friends.

1) the bowl is acceptable compared to my last pipe, but the rim is still slightly out of round.
I had a couple of spots that I tried to sand out, and on the right side I couldn't quite get it back
to round.

2) The overall proportions of the bowl are ok, and the proportion bowl to shank thickness
are ok as well. (at least I think so)

3) the shank, accent and stem are way too long. I am thinking of fixing that, but there are
so many things that could go wrong that I am not sure I'll end up doing that. I am aiming to
shorten every one part by 30%, so I end up at an overall length of the pipe that's
exactly 3 times the height of the bowl.

4) the overall roundness of the bowl is pretty ok. it's not quite symmetrical, but close enough
for a beginning pipe maker for now.

5) there is a file mark at the bowl/ shank junction that I wasn't able to fix perfectly.

6) the stem is still a little too wide compared to the shank diameter. It also needs to be tapered a bit.
I will fix that part for sure.

7) the color of the accent is too dark compared to the rest of the pipe. Maybe staining the pipe
would help with that, but I still have that bone colored stem so I'd have to replace that as well.

8 ) there are several bad pits in the wood. I've never rusticated a pipe, but if I was going to
give this away, there's no way I could leave this smooth. Since I am keeping that pipe for myself,
I won't try any rustication. I think there's some really nice grain on that pipe, and I kind of like looking
at that.

9) there's a crack at the rim of the bowl. it's barely visible, but when I was sanding, a little bit
of wood broke off. you can see that at the 11:00 o clock position in one of the pictures. There isn't
really a way of fixing this other than taking off about 3-4 mm of the top. with a pipe this length,
this would certainly look even more awkward.

I'd appreciate any comment on the pipe. if I recall correctly, this is the 3rd pipe I made from
scratch, and only the 2nd on a lathe. I also have no skill whatsoever working with a lathe. Nobody
ever showed me how to use it, I just bought it and went to work.

Also no need to be overly cautious about your comments: I know I messed this up, and I also
know it won't be the last time. I hope I'll improve enought to make something decent at some
point, but my main goal is to relax after a stressfull day at the office.
The Tan Saarlander
thegingerpiper

Re: I failed at making a pipe

Post by thegingerpiper »

Sir_Saartan,

Could you please add as attachments? I can't view as I am not a member of that other forum. Thank you kindly!

-TGP
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

4.jpg
pic 1
(42.99 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3.jpg
pic 2
(32.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.jpg
pic3
(47.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1.jpg
pic4
(46.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The Tan Saarlander
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

thegingerpiper wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:21 am Sir_Saartan,

Could you please add as attachments? I can't view as I am not a member of that other forum. Thank you kindly!

-TGP
there you go
The Tan Saarlander
Flygare

Post by Flygare »

Thats a good try on a third pipe, so dont be discouraged!

Also you point out obvious flaws yourself so you know what to correct.

I feel that your bowl should be a bit taller and the bowl profile should be a bit more tapered in on the upper third. Hard to tell from the picture but do you have the widest part one third up from the bottom?

You did a very good job on rounding the bottom part of the bowl!

I dont like fixing pipes that I have finished. I rather toss it aside and start with a new block. Fixing usually sends me down a slippery slope...

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

@flygare: thank you for your kind words.

I wasn't going to post those pictures here, so I wasn't too carefull about taking the pics.
Next time I will take better ones.

the bowl was taller (and round) but I had to take off some to get rid of a huge pit.

the bowl is just slightly tapered in the upper third, but the rest is almost exactly straight.
I wasn't aware that it's supposed to be widest at the 1/3 mark from the bottom, I will
keep that in mind.

I don't like fixing things that should've been right on the lathe. it's difficult and usually doesn't
lead to satisfying results, so I rather keep this as a reminder of what to do better next time,
smoke it in my shop and make a better pipe.

I'm not discouraged by my mistakes. I am pretty pleased with some parts, but
I think I could've done a better job easily if I thought it through before just going to work.
I'm also a little impatient with myself, because I know I can do better but have yet to actually do it.
The Tan Saarlander
thegingerpiper

Post by thegingerpiper »

Sir_Sartaan,

Def not as bad as you made it seem haha. Solid pipe amigo, you know that I am a COMPLETE beginner so please take my comments with that large grain of salt.

The tobacco chamber is a bit off center from a top view (in pic 4)

Also where the shank meets the bowl (in pic 2) isn't symmetrical, where you said the file mark is i believe. A full round file might help you get in there to remove the file mark and match the transition.

Again I'm a newb so I could be wrong and please take this constructively.

Great work tho mate and I can't wait to see your next one.

Also if you're keeping it, maybe try that rustication in case you botch it, it won't matter much ;)
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

@the ginger piper
thank you.

I am a complete beginner as well. I made 2 pipes from hobby blocks years ago using a dremel, files and sand paper.
I then bought a belt sander and just kind of fooled around a bit, before my family life as well as my work as a
self employed cpa prevented me from doing anything considered a hobby.

I have now upgraded my shop and started again about 2 months ago, and I am going to stay at it.
this is the 2nd pipe since I've started again, and I believe it's ok.

you're right about where you located the file mark. that area isn't symmetrical. it wasn't a matter of using the wrong tool,
but just simply using the tool the wrong way. I took off a little too much and there was no correcting that error. gotta make
it better next time.

regarding rustication: I have a couple of pieces that I have in my shop that I will use to try rusticating when the time
is right. I don't like most rustications, and until I make up my mind what I want the result to look like, there's no
reason to just go for it. I need an image in my mind first before I can try to achieve that.

Don't be shy about critizising my pipes. I take every word that's being said here constructively. And
it's been said before: you don't get better by people telling you how great you are, but by them telling
you what you could do better. I'm perfectly prepared to see my pipes being ripped apart here. But that's
the point of posting them.

If I wanted to be praised, I'd just show them to a couple of cluesless buddies with
3 feet and a left hand. I can be certain they'll admire anything I make. but that doesn't make me a better pipe maker.
The Tan Saarlander