Vacuum cleaners

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Sir_Saartan

Vacuum cleaners

Post by Sir_Saartan »

I'm getting an awesome deal on a dust removal system/vacuum cleaner for my shop.
I've got no clue so I'd like to have your opinion: is this something worthwhile:

https://www.delfinvacuums.com/en/indust ... er-301-dry
The Tan Saarlander
n80

Re: Vacuum cleaners

Post by n80 »

It looks well made. However, unless it is specifically designed for dust collection the filter will clog up fairly fast depending on your level of dust production. Having said that, I use a basic plastic shop vac for dust collection while making pipes and just move the hose end to wherever I need it. When suction starts to fall off I knock the filter around to clean it off. That does not happen often. I keep mine in a different room and use a long hose to keep the noise level down.
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

it's meant for dust collection specifically, and has a cleaning system. you push a button and it cleans the filter within 2-3 seconds.
The Tan Saarlander
n80

Post by n80 »

Sounds good.
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Good day!
Isn't it a very expensive toy? In Russia, such a vacuum cleaner costs $ 1500. Look towards the Attix 33 from the same manufacturer. It's slightly more powerful. It looks like it has the same filter cleaning functions. And most importantly, it is almost three times cheaper. And in terms of noise level, Attix 33 has only 60 dB. Your chosen model has a noise level of 74 dB. This is more than twice the noise. Every 10 dB doubles the noise level.
But Attix 33 is also not cheap, ask a question on the forum, maybe they will recommend something else to you. For example, I look towards the JET dust collectors. Although Delfin is certainly better.

Best regards, Odissey
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

I know the guy who runs the germany branch of Delfin. I cannot answer on an open forum what I am going to be paying for that.
yes, the regular sales price is € 1.200,00 which is a little less than $ 1.500,00.

isn't every 12 db twice the noise? but your point is still valid: it's twice as loud, even though 60 db is really silent and 74 db is about as loud as
my big belt sander, and much less than a table saw. So 74 db is acceptable in some environments, in others not so much.

From a chart I googled it's as loud as standing next to a regular car with its engine running. that's not too bad.
Last edited by Sir_Saartan on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tan Saarlander
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

I'm picking the vacuum up thursday and will test it the same evening, so I will be able to give you
some information on wether or not it does what I expect it to do.

The Attix 33 is made by a different company: Nilfisk.

Actually, the guys who have founded Delfin some 20 years ago were originally in the developpment
department of Nilfisk, so apparently they are making some very similar products.
The Tan Saarlander
Sir_Saartan

Post by Sir_Saartan »

I picked up the cleaner and tried it: holy cow. yes, it is a little louder than I'd like it to be, but
the effect is absolutely fantastic. I need to build something to use with my french wheel and lathe as well,
but this is awesome.

That being said: I got their showroom model, and they were promised to exchange the used motor for a new one.
Now because this is an old model, the 1 hp motor of the new model doesn't fit, so they instead
upgraded it to a 2.8 hp motor they had in stock that does.
The Tan Saarlander