Hand plane...

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
JMG

Hand plane...

Post by JMG »

Nothing nearly as cool as Kurt's...and I didn't make this, just restored it. But for a nearly 100 year old tool, I was pretty happy with the results.

Still have a lot of sharpening to do, but even as it sits now with just the initial work, it is cutting pine like butter. This plane was made between 1925-1928.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Re: Hand plane...

Post by LatakiaLover »

I bet you could get an aluminum and plastic one at Home Depot that would work just as well and last every bit as long for $9.99.

Think of all the work you'd save! No need to remove rust, re-paint, sharpen, any of that messy stuff. Plus, it would be made from recycled beer cans by eight year olds in China, so you'd be 1) Helping the Planet and thereby avoid being Scolded by Greta; 2) be helping children; and 3) demonstating good-spirited International-ness.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:48 pm I bet you could get an aluminum and plastic one at Home Depot that would work just as well and last every bit as long for $9.99.

Think of all the work you'd save! No need to remove rust, re-paint, sharpen, any of that messy stuff. Plus, it would be made from recycled beer cans by eight year olds in China, so you'd be 1) Helping the Planet and thereby avoid being Scolded by Greta; 2) be helping children; and 3) demonstating good-spirited International-ness.
#forthechildren #stopglobalwarming #howdareyou
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Exactly
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Nicely done, John Michael!
I take great pleasure in using a tool or device that I have restored or built- no matter how many times I use it.
Most satisfactory.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Nice! I love old hand tools! I have a nice (growing) collection of Millers Falls planes from pre-WW2, and all of them are a dream to use. I sometimes buy the crappiest old tool I can find, just to have the joy of restoring it to usable condition.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com