Internal ("band-less") Shank Repair (video set)

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Internal ("band-less") Shank Repair (video set)

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Re: Internal ("band-less") Shank Repair (video set)

Post by caskwith »

Just spotted this on my feed, new title system is perfect!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Excellentez :D

It's so logical to do it that way---set number / volume number shown FIRST in the title---that Imma feeling pretty stupid for not starting out with such a scheme.

It's true that the first set was originally going to be it, one and done, but after that? Once I decided to go all in?

I know... never having owned (or even used) a "small screen computing option", it literally never occurred to me. On a desktop screen scrolling and zooming isn't a Thing.

Yeah, that's it. My Old Geezer-ness is the culprit. :lol:

Anyway, I thought I'd start in mid-flight with set #26 in case there's a reasonable way for me to go back and number them all.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The problem: Long, compound, intersecting, multiple shank cracks. Parallel on the outside, converged as they moved inward.

Shank is .93" in diameter.

Simple "insert" banding would just cut out pie-shaped segments; and an exterior band would have to be half the length of the shank (and likely the interior of the mortise would crumble/deteriorate with use.)

The only solution that would be both durable and preserve the appearance of the pipe was to "core" the entire shank to the full depth of the mortise and replace it with healthy wood.

Photos of the finished pipe. (the Grp 4 Lovat was added for scale) The mortise tenon fit is "hydraulic glide" perfect, and since the shank is now a laminate of 90-degree crossing grain and T-88 epoxy, is almost certainly stronger than new.

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
JMG

Post by JMG »

George, I've said it before, but it warrants repeating. You are seriously the best in the world at what you do. I don't think I've ever been able to say that about anyone I've ever met in real life other than you.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

While I truly appreciate the kind words, my brayne keeps circling back around to, "Yeah, but that's easy when you're the only guy who does it." :lol:

It's weird. While functional repair is quick and easy, collectable grade repair---what I think of as "invisible repair"---is a brutally harsh mistress. So much that not many who start down the road stay with it for long.

Meaning, I guess, that I'm either excessively stubborn or crazy in some medically exotic way.

Sure can be fun, though. :mrgreen: