About me

Tell us who you are.
briarbeard

About me

Post by briarbeard »

Hello everyone!

I have been wood carving for about 7 months now. I carve mostly, caricatures, Christmas ornaments, knives, and bottle openers. I recently found some briar that my father-in-law got me a few years ago and decided to try my hand at making pipes. Ive smoked a pipe for about 11 years now. I currently only have a drill press and a dremel. I would say the hardest part for me (seeing as i still havent fully made a pipe yet) is getting the air hole to be centered on the tobacco hole. I would love to be linked to the thread where that info is or just to be told to draw a straighter line.
Sir_Saartan

Re: About me

Post by Sir_Saartan »

Welcome.

I'm also a newbie pipe maker, and only doing this for a hobby.
Most pipe makers here are doing this for a living, so unless what you're posting is
kind of spectacular, I believe few people are going to answer to a question you
could have answered yourself after using the search field in the top right corner of your screen.

By the standards of this forum I am not qualified to give any advice since I'm not an actual pipe maker.

I'll still say just a couple of words to get you started:
If you're working with a drill press for your drilling, measuring and drawing the lines on the block will
be what you're going to end up doing. Drill the airway first, and drill down the chamber slowly, checking
wether or not you've already met the airway, so you don't end up drilling past it.

I recommend you read the stummels section and the gallery carefully, most things you're looking for are going
to be answered. Mybe look at the tools section to have an idea what's a good drill bit for the chamber and
how you get an easier go at a straight airway.

Like I have said before: all the information you're looking for at this stage has already been given at some
point. Also: keep in mind that making pipes for a living is a pretty time consuming thing, so don't be disappointed
if you don't get as many replies as fast as you were hoping for.

I hope you're having a lot of fun making your pipe.
The Tan Saarlander