The first two true Tomatoes.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Odissey

The first two true Tomatoes.

Post by Odissey »

You have already seen my twentieth smoking pipe. This is a tomato, which, due to internal defects, I had to redo into FREEHAND.

I returned to this form and made two new classic tomatoes.
This is the twenty-fourth smoking pipe made by me.

Weight - 53.19 grams
Length - 135.5 mm
Tobacco chamber 32 x 19 mm
Outside diameter - 52.3 mm

This is also a tomato. And this is my 25 smoking pipe.

Weight - 62.4 grams
Length - 136, 4 mm
Tobacco chamber - 20 x 36 mm
Outer diameter 51.7 mm
The prototype was the Brad Pohlmann pipe, which is still on sale at Smokingpipes.com. She can be found there and see, she is the third on his page. This is not an exact copy of the Polhmann smoking pipe. But there are not many differences, I did not want to go far from the original.

How do you think the work was a success?
wdteipen

Re: The first two true Tomatoes.

Post by wdteipen »

I like where you were going with the bowl shape on the first pipe. You have some nice curves and lines on the bowl. Those nice lines don't carry into the shank though which is relatively straight. A reverse tapered shank needs to look deliberate otherwise it just looks like you messed up and took too much off near the bowl. The shank shaping is a bit lumpy in some places and you loose your lines. The stem is far too short and pretty clunky and unrefined; especially compared to the gracefulness of the bowl. The second pipe is the better of the two. Lot's of good things to be proud of in this pipe. The overall balance of the bowl, shank, and stem in length and thickness is pretty good. Theres a bit of waviness in the lines of the shank and it appears to have a slight reverse taper where it should have a slight taper instead. The stem needs a bit more material taken off especially in the middle but it's a big improvement over the previous pipe's stem. The only other suggestion I have is to not leave thin edges around the tobacco chamber as they will be prone to catch the flame and char. Keep up the good efforts. Reminds me a lot of the quality of work I was putting out at pipe 24 and 25. You will get progressively better with each successive pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

In the second pipe, one can be proud of a job well done. As for the lines, this is the merit of Brad Pohlmann. I made the shank line a little steeper and turned this smoking pipe from a naso-heat into a normal full-sized smoking pipe. And also a little bit changed the shape of the bowl.

Regards, Odissey
RickB

Post by RickB »

I agree with Wayne on pretty much all counts - shaping on the bowls is very aesthetically pleasing to my eye - the shanks don't match yet but are getting better for sure. As a general rule (and grain of salt here) I'll typically aim for about 6mm for the stem as it transitions to the flare, assuming a bit zone of ~4mm.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

6 mm is certainly cool. But I do not think that this should be used as a general standard. Often, even very famous masters are completely out of place, put such "thin stems" and lose a lot. Here is an example

So far I do not see an urgent need to install such "thin" stems. I have two exactly the same mouthpieces for the second smoking pipe. One of them is slightly damaged and is not suitable for smoking. It will be necessary to finish it up to 6 mm and see how this will affect the overall appearance of the second smoking pipe.
God forbid, like it!
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

will continue my thought ...
Here is another example

How elegant this smoking pipe looks, although the stem here is very far from 6 mm.
RickB

Post by RickB »

Odissey wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:42 am will continue my thought ...
Here is another example

How elegant this smoking pipe looks, although the stem here is very far from 6 mm.
True - but it's also a much longer stem so it still looks thin and elegant. My reasoning is that I clench, and I want it as thin as is reasonable for the entire length of the stem that's in my mouth. I'd bet this one is still no thicker than 6mm for at least 1.5-2" from the button.

The pipe prior to this one could stand to have it slightly larger or have a slightly larger radius into the shoulder from an aesthetic standpoint, but I also wonder if part of that is due to shine getting cropped out on the photograph, as there appears to be a bump in the middle of the bend as well - and assuming the bitezone is around 4mm, it looks to be no more than 5mm at the shoulder in this picture. Possible but probably unlikely.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

~4mm behind the button of the stem is pretty standard for high end pipes.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Odissey

Post by Odissey »

Thanks Rick! Thanks Wayen!
I think we have found a common language with you. Both you and I vote for grace and beauty. Rick literally three words explained how to achieve this.
How hard it is ... to understand how it can be done quickly and beautifully. I watched topics on the forum and I came across a topic about the time it takes to make a stem. I almost fell off the chair when I saw that the stalk was made in 2 - 3 hours. I spend 2 to 3 days on this. Even taking into account the fact that the stem I have is completely hand-made (I don’t have a lathe), this is still an incomparably long way.
I’m probably going to finish the new pipe by Thursday and a new topic “Violin and Cello” will come from me. Come and see how I learned the lesson on graceful stems.

Regards, Odissey
n80

Post by n80 »

I am working on getting 4mm behind the button. Typically hit 4.5 and then chicken out.

As a clincher I find 4.5mm perfectly comfortable for me. I only have one production pipe that is 4mm. I cracked it clinching.