TShea

Tell us who you are.
TShea

TShea

Post by TShea »

Years a pipe smoker: Don't smoke, just make
How you got into pipe making: I'll type my thesis below
Other interesting facts: See thesis below

Greetings good people. I've already had a chance to interact with some of the good people of the forum, and a few pipe makers scattered throughout the world. Kudos to Kurt, Steve and Premal particularly. The Walt Cannoy information on YouTube is spectacular, along with the J. Alan channel. All of them are very good people and I've enjoyed my various interactions.

Long story short is I make a living as a paramedic and Emergency Medical Services instructor, so I've seen some really crappy things through my career. I started when I was 16 as a First Responder, and I suppose I would say that if I had a time machine and could go back I would probably opt for something else. I love the career. It's what it leaves behind psychologically that I struggle with. This is ultimately why I'm a wood worker, and have been for 35+ years. My career demons go away when I'm in my shop. My specialty is wood turning, which I've done for 15+ years. I have a tool fetish, have bought some tools from the above mentioned, and I have two full-sized wood lathes and a metal lathe (amongst many of the other woodworking goodies/equipment). For those familiar with wood turning, my pride and joy in my shop is a Robust American Beauty (with all the bells and whistles). She's made in WI and I'm on it daily, if not every other.

My interest in pipe making began, you're going to like this, when I walked into a friend's bathroom and smelled a candle that reminded me of pipe smoke. This happened four months ago, which tells everyone how long I've been making pipes. I thought to myself, "self, I wonder if I could make a pipe?" And the rest is history. I don't smoke, but I love the smell of pipe smoke. I'll post some of my projects and I would very much like to get some strong feedback. My philosophy is I want to make the next project better, so what did I learn from the completion of the current project to make the next one better?

Be safe, be good to one another, and remember to stop and smell the roses now and then. Life is short!

Happy to be a part of this fine forum.

Cheers,

Todd
LatakiaLover

Re: TShea

Post by LatakiaLover »

TShea wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:28 am
Long story short is I make a living as a paramedic and Emergency Medical Services instructor, so I've seen some really crappy things through my career. I started when I was 16 as a First Responder, and I suppose I would say that if I had a time machine and could go back I would probably opt for something else. I love the career. It's what it leaves behind psychologically that I struggle with.
Yup. A friend of mine in Wyoming did ever-more-senior EMT stuff for a long time, managing to compartmentalize, until one night he was dispatched to an auto wreck outside of town.

The car was from the removeable sunroof era, and it flipped and slid on its roof for many yards into a plowed field with the partially-ejected driver's head trapped between the top of the car and the ground. The dirt was soft enough it didn't kill her, but hard enough to cause a brain bleed/skull fracture plus remove all soft tissue from her face. Also both eyes.

It was so disfiguring he didn't even realize who it was at the time. His high school sweetheart of many years who he intended to marry but never did.

It messed him up in a profound and unfixable way. He quit within days.

Though responding had nothing to do with causing the event, he still felt guilty. And the nighmares never went away.

To anyone reading this: There is no Batman, there is no Spiderman, there is no Superman. Those are make-believe people. There ARE real superheroes in the world, though. They are called EMT's and firemen. The next time you see one in a restaurant or something, pay for their meal and give them a nod. Or maybe just a smile and a thumbs-up. Something---anything---to show some appreciation for what they do.

I thought I understood it until meeting [name redacted]. I had absolutely no idea.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Masonrygh

Re: TShea

Post by Masonrygh »

Shalom! Welcome!
“Tools don’t make pipes” -SandahlPipe
“Every Pipe is a Billiard” -SandahlPipe
"Plan your work, work your plan" -Walt Cannoy