A question of speed

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Adui

A question of speed

Post by Adui »

My lathe has the following speeds available:

I have only used it at 875, and I find that speed makes a shaping disc turn at a speed that is fast enough to do the job without taking more off than I intended.

What speed should I use for actually turning a pipe block? I've had a scrap one chucked into my Nova G3 and it didn't vibrate or jump around at 875, but I really don't remember anything about what speeds to do what on a lathe so I'm asking you all for advice.
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
caskwith

Re: A question of speed

Post by caskwith »

Use the speed that is comfortable for you and works. There is no set speed for turning or drilling as it will vary according to the lathe, the tools and the user. If 875 works for you, use it.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

What Chris said - because the blocks are mounted off-center and can vibrate the crap out of your lathe, use what you're comfortable with and what the lathe can handle.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
n80

Post by n80 »

In regard to a wood lathe, in my _very_ limited experience I have found between 800-1000 is my comfort zone. Being cautious I started out at slower speeds as low as 500 and found that to be actually more difficult.
Masonrygh

Post by Masonrygh »

I find that once you turn the shank, you can actually turn the bowl at max speed because there's almost zero wobble. That being said, I've mounted my lathe to my bench, so use caution your first time at higher speeds.
“Tools don’t make pipes” -SandahlPipe
“Every Pipe is a Billiard” -SandahlPipe
"Plan your work, work your plan" -Walt Cannoy