Couve

Tell us who you are.
Couve

Couve

Post by Couve »

I have been reading the Forum for a few months and am very impressed with the content.

Career: Retired from a lifetime of enterprises in the hardwood woodworking field, including stair parts manufacturing and hardwood floor refinishing.
Hobby: Wood lathe projects.
Pipe smoking history: not since I was about 25.
Interest in pipe making: All of my friends and family have about all the bowls they want, so I was looking for something challenging to make that was small scale. Always liked pipes more than smoking them, so fell into seeing pipes as art, and have read much of the Forum and watched lots of the utube videos. All very instructive. Just recently tooled up for pipemaking and have made 4 pipes now all based on a Savinelli billiard I am trying to copy. Fascinated by the precision required and all the issues involved in making a functional object that also has a pleasing shape. With pipe number 4, I finally made the whole pipe including ebonite stem with delrin.
I am challenged by making the stem, and it is slow work. I will post a pipe when I finally make one that is worth showing for critique.
Thanks.
LatakiaLover

Re: Couve

Post by LatakiaLover »

Welcome, Dallas.

I've known a number of pro woodworkers (finish carpentry, turners, etc) who've taken a swing at pipe making and they've done well.

I chalk it up to having developed a "tool sense" that transfers readily.

Enjoy the hobby. Post pics whenever you feel ready. You'll get legit feedback here, unlike most other social media. :mrgreen:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Hello Dallas!
I'm across the river in Portland. My sister lives in Vancouver, and my folks are in Washougal. If and when we are able to congregate again, and you're interested please, drop me a line.
Jeremy.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Couve

Post by Couve »

Thanks for the welcomes.
I’ve watched George’s vids on making high quality pipe stems over and over. Looks alot easier when you don’t see all the finesse going on between taping sessions. I had no idea the stem would be the hardest part for me. Not used to working within tolerances in the thousanths.
Glad to hear there’s a pipemaker in Portland. I’ll check in with you later on Jeremy. With a 95% tax on pipe tobacco in Washington and a general ban on smoking in public places, it isn’t often I see a pipe smoker, but I’m sure they are around in private.