Bent (Slight) Rhodesian with hand cut ebonite stem

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Adui

Bent (Slight) Rhodesian with hand cut ebonite stem

Post by Adui »

I said this before, but this one beats that. My best work to date:

I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
DocAitch

Re: Bent (Slight) Rhodesian with hand cut ebonite stem

Post by DocAitch »

Thats a nice pipe, especially for your time in the craft.
The only thing that concerns me is the way the shank pinches in near the transition, (best seen on the top view).
Some more close ups of your stem work would be valuable in an evaluation. The square ended slot is also something that can be addressed with a funneling tool and sandpaper.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Adui

Post by Adui »

I'll try to post some of the stem / button work. I'm not sure what you mean by "Pinches"

AKA Terry
Adui

Post by Adui »

Stem pics

AKA Terry
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I mean that the shank appears to lose width as it approaches the transition. This may be part of your design, but its hard to see. I do see that the shank in general tapers in so on re looking, I realize that its part of the design.
Your phots make this evaluation difficult. Try a neutral back ground such as light gray for your photos . Look at Premal’s sticky at the beginning of this section. Some cell phone cameras allow you to adjust the exposure to bring out details.

DocAitch
Adui

Post by Adui »

OK, the reverse taper from the bowl to the stem junction. Yes, that is part of the design, ish... I made and error that required thinning it a bit so I cut a taper that way to keep it looking good.

As for background, I have white, black, yellow, red and blue mats but I thought the green brought it to the front better. Tomorrow eve Ill try and remember to take a new set with a different background

AKA Terry
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Photography is my nemesis. I purchased a camera to be used exclusively for pipe photos, but that has been in the case for a year now. I use an iPhone X, and have found that to be adequate. If you have an IPhone, I can tell you my technique. I also use a piece of light gray cloth for a background and some lights with translucent shades to diffuse the reflection. My photos are OK with a bit of editing.
As for your slot, I think that with some sanding tips, they will be better. I find that using folded sand paper smooths and shapes the funnel and slot. I start at 150 grit (garnet paper here) and use 4-5 thicknesses. The initial fold is made on a straight edge
Break the first fold on a straight edge
5 thicknesses here, but 4 may work better depending on the width of the slot
I use the entire length of the this paper to sand- about 2 inches. If the paper doesn’t pass the “choke point” (the point where the funnel meets the draft~ 3/4” in), then open the choke point with your spiral saw a bit more.
I sand until it feels smooth and I can no longer see tool marks in the funnel, especial at the ends of the slot. I then sand up though the grades to 400-600 and finally polish with Tripoli on a fluffy pipe cleaner.
DocAitch
Adui

Post by Adui »

Thanks Doc. This was pointed out to me last night and I spent some time on it. I definitely need practice but it's better than it was

AKA Terry