Bulldog 1

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Adui

Bulldog 1

Post by Adui »

Here it is. The first iteration for the PITH:
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
Adui

Re: Bulldog 1

Post by Adui »

OK I know my pictures suck but does nobody have anything to critique?

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

Terry, you know I'm new at this as well and that I know next to nothing about making a good bulldog except that the one I made recently was VERY hard and turned out to be not worth posting here.

But here is my critique anyway using some of what I learned in the process. I hope the experts will correct whatever I get wrong.

On the good side it is clearly recognizable as a bulldog. The primary elements are there.

I think the shank needs to be straighter. In other words, yours is larger at the stummel and tapers noticeably back to the stem. I think there should be much less taper and possibly no taper at all. The side edges of the shank look straight but the top one looks like it angles a little from stummel to stem. There seems to be a sideways cant to the stem. Photos aren't clear enough to say anything about the button and slot or bit area.

All-in-all for an early fully handmade attempt at a difficult style of pipe I think you did well.

George
Adui

Post by Adui »

Thank you George. I saw these points as well. After the fact. Nice to have confirmation of what Im seeing as mistakes

AKA Terry
Adui

Post by Adui »

Once Im done refinishing it, just the polish, no shaping, I will get better pics posted.

AKA Terry
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

It would be helpful to arrange your shots more straight on, and not angled. They're is a sticky post about the angles to shoot for best consideration and critique. If you want useful advice, then you'll need to provide helpful views.

As for the taper on the shank, you want some, for sure. We can debate wether this had too much (I don't think so) but if you have no taper, then your eye will play a strange trick and make it already as though there is a reverse taper.

Find the post about picture angles and repost them here.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Adui

Post by Adui »

Thank you Seamonster. As soon as I am done with its finishing work I will post proper pics. I admit I completely forgot about that little post in my excitement to get it out.

AKA Terry
Adui

Post by Adui »

An apology is in order. I was getting frustrated at the lack of responses without taking heed to what I read when I first joined. For the negativity some of you may have seen in my latest posts, I am sorry. I just went looking for that photo instructional and found this:

"Sometimes you won't get feedback. New makers that post their first pipes here sometimes don't get any feedback at all. Considering that a lot of "first pipes" sometimes look a lot alike, take the silence as a cue to consider feedback you've seen others get. Sometimes the best critique is none at all, and it can help you to look at your own work with a very critical eye - and this critical eye is something that every maker needs to develop."

Thanks for you patience with me, I'll keep trying and (hopefully)learning.

AKA Terry
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

By definition the only feedback possible from a photograph is visual feedback.

The best way to get feedback on EXECUTION is not with photos, but by doing your best to copy an existing pipe, then comparing them in hand. It's easy, instantaneous, 100% objective, and every angle is covered.

Copying existing pipes in the beginning is the most efficient way to become a pipe maker. Not trying to creating new shapes (or put your own spin on established ones) until after you are technically proficient with pipemaking tools and techniques makes the process infinitely less frustrating.

It's like learning a musical instrument. Exercises and music written by others is always how you begin.

The main purpose of this board during that time would be answering questions about tool types, tool setup, and tool usage techniques that have you stumped. Tricks & tips. Something like, "How do I get a crisper bowl/shank transition at the spot marked on this photo? I use a chainsaw file but it keeps drifting. How do you guys control it where the angle flattens out like that?" You'll get answers to that type of question thoroughly and quickly. Guaranteed.

Later---when you've got tools and techniques "down," and you start experimenting with existing designs and/or creating new ones---is when SHAPE AND DESIGN oriented feedback is appropriate and meaningful.

Keeping the cart behind the horse in the early months is the most difficult part of becoming a pipemaker. This board has existed for 16 years, and seen many hundreds of people start down the path. Few have finished. Time after time they get frustrated by trying to bring into existence what their MIND sees before they can "speak tool" fluently.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.