Proud owner of a Craftsman 12 inch wood turning lathe. What now?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Adui

Proud owner of a Craftsman 12 inch wood turning lathe. What now?

Post by Adui »

I have the lathe, a 5 or 6 inch tool rest, a 12 inch tool rest, a really big face plate (probably 10 inches but I didn't measure it). I now need to buy turning tools and buy or build a chuck (leaning toward building because I am a broke adult child)

It does not have a way to change the tool point in the tailstock, which I found odd. The existing center is a non turning point center. I am considering ways to add / change this to a live center, but I'm more interested in learning how to take that off and put a drill chuck on for pipe drilling.

Suggestions on VERY low cost turning chisels with pipe making in mind. (EG if its a really cool tool but I cant use it on pipes I'm not interested)

(Yes I have used a lathe before, but if I am honest it was so many years ago I need to study as much as possible before going live with anything more than a practice piece).
PS if someone on here is in the Phoenix AZ area and wants to chat over coffee and a lathe for instructional purposes Id be awfully grateful.
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
n80

Re: Proud owner of a Craftsman 12 inch wood turning lathe. What now?

Post by n80 »

Check out this thread where I asked some of the same questions:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=12168

I think you're going to need a chuck but you might be able to make something that fits the face plate.

I got the Robert Sorby carbide tool linked to in the thread above. I'm a lathe noob and this tool has been easy to use.

If possible send pictures of your tailstock, headstock etc and I might be able to help you out some since I also have a Craftsman. Check the manual to see what type of spindle fits in it. More than likely a 2 MT. If so, there is a wide variety of chucks and live centers.

What is the model number of your lathe?

Congrats on the lathe. It will help with your pipe making.

Unfortunately to set one up well costs a bit. I think between the Nova chuck, Robert Sorby tool and a keyless chuck I was in for around $300 which can be a hard pill to swallow on a limited budget for a hobby.
Adui

Post by Adui »

The Lathe is a model 113.228160. I found the manual online it doesn't give any indication that the tailstock center can be removed and refitted with a live center, it calls it a Cup center. I've seen videos on YouTube showing freehand drilling using a tailstock center similar to this and a Jacobs chuck in the headstock holding the drill. Looked scary but I may have to consider that as an option.

Unfortunately I don't have $300 to spend all at once, Especially since Im saving my pennies for the West Coast Pipe Show in October / November. However, I can nickle and dime my way to the cost of the additional tools over time. The good news is for me this hobby is as much about the journey as it is the destination, so I will have fun making do until I can buy what will work better.

For now I will be picking up a cheap set of basic tools and practicing with that while I continue to make pipes the way I've been doing it.
Oh and yes I do see the loose parts. All of that will be cleaned up and locked down before use.

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

Adui wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:04 pm The Lathe is a model 113.228160. I found the manual online it doesn't give any indication that the tailstock center can be removed and refitted with a live center, it calls it a Cup center.
Looking at your owners manual it shows how to remove the cup center from the tailstock. The parts list in the back of the manual says it is a #1 Morris Taper cup center. You should easily be able to find a 1 MT live center and probably find a 1MT Jacobs chuck. Not saying the one below is any good, but it should fit:

https://www.amazon.com/Taytools-467221- ... 382&sr=8-1
Unfortunately I don't have $300 to spend all at once
I get you. In that case the first things I would spend money on are the things that will allow you to drill accurately rather than actually shaping. To me, that means skipping the carving tools and getting a Jacobs chuck and if at all possible a decent headstock chuck.
For now I will be picking up a cheap set of basic tools and practicing with that while I continue to make pipes the way I've been doing it.
I understand, but I'd still save the money on the tools and put it towards a chuck. With a chuck and a Jacobs chuck you can drill all of your holes perfectly and with a Forstner bit you can make your stem-to-shank junctions nearly perfect with ease.

Either way, it is a process and you have to do what your budget and your time will allow. Have fun.
Adui

Post by Adui »

Wow! I was on the right path after all! Thanks n80! I just reread the owners manual, that segment is in the assembly section that I skipped because its already assembled. (DoH!) I will free the stuck center and find a live center. That Jacobs chuck you show might be just the thing for that part! It will be a bit of time but I think I can make this thing sing!

AKA Terry
Adui

Post by Adui »

So, I have a live center for the tail stock thanks to Wodcraft.com (went to the B&M store locally). I realize this isnt really needed for carving the stummel, but when I start working on stems it will come in quite handy.

I Bought a hand screw clamp, and modified it to mount on the 8" faceplate that came with my lathe. I was able to center up a scrap hardwood block cut to mimic a pipe carvers block and spin it up (After tightening everything down to prevent it from flying off).

Well, that didnt work. The clamp didnt hold the work in place well enough and it came off the lathe, turning at min speed (845rpm??) No one was injured and the wood will still make a fine practice blank, but I now realize this is a bad bad way to try to cut corners.

I have a Nova G3 chuck and the adapter to fit my spindle on the way now from Woodcraft.com. I could have gone out to the B&M sotre for it, but I had a great online only coupon that saved me more than the shipping was so I took it.

My VF order arrives today, and that should be here in a week or less. Then I start practicing on practice wood to get decent with the lathe. I figure my first PITH work will be on the lathe by mid March.

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

That’s great. I hate to suggest that you spend more money but I do recommend a face shield.
Adui

Post by Adui »

n80 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:47 pm That’s great. I hate to suggest that you spend more money but I do recommend a face shield.
Literally the only reason I have not gotten that is I cant FIND one. Even Harbor freight is out, they sent them all to the organizations doing the covid 19 stuff. Though in fairness, I haven't gone many places since this mess got me working from home... I'll probably order one when my next paycheck hits. We're tapped with what I've spent and rent this payday.

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

I had not thought about the fact that they would be purchased for that reason but it makes sense. The ones we use at work only prevent splashing and would not protect you from flying briar but I guess people are getting whatever they can.
Adui

Post by Adui »

Update: I have a face shield on order... From china... It will get here eventually. I have also been informed that the coveted chuck jaws I think would be really nice to have (and in fact I need more than I suspected) I am allowed to order on the 15th. My wife must REALLY love me cause I've spent upwards of $700 on this hobby since December!

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

I think the VF jaws in a Nova chuck are an economical way to get into using a lathe. But 'economical' is a relative term. This hobby gets nuts especially when you aspire to make pipes that might pass muster here on Pipe Makers. But, that's a good thing. I figure I might not ever make a pipe that meets the high standards here but even approaching those standards will put us above the average pipe maker, most basket pipes and some basic production pipes.
Adui

Post by Adui »

Right there with you on the level of the bar here. BUT we must remember anything we post here is being scrutinized by folks who have been in this game for quite a while. Additionally, we are looking for feedback so they will (should) be ultra critical on everything in order to be sure we know about anything that needs improvement.

AKA Terry
Adui

Post by Adui »

All that said; this is a hobby for me. Im not looking to make a living, only to some day pay the expenses to continue. The tooling that is cross compatible doesnt even go into my cost analysis. In other words, materials are in, tooling that is specific to the hobby such as those jaws is in, but the lathe iteself, while I count it, can and will be used for so much more so I dont count that as a cost when I am personally evaluating this specific hobby. (it was still in the cost I listed)

AKA Terry