PITH 2020!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

Theme/shape up for vote

Poll ended at Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:42 am

Blueprint shape (design to be classic shape)
21%
Billiard
6%
Bulldog/Rhodesian
28%
Creature
4%
Dublin
17%
Horn
6%
Eskimo
6%
Prince
13%

Total votes: 53

davidpiepkorn1

PITH 2020!

Post by davidpiepkorn1 »

can you log in to the forum from an actual computer? might go easier that way....

I used a laptop yesterday and it made a very big difference.
Liberthorn

Re: PITH 2020!

Post by Liberthorn »

DStuhr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:01 am I’ve searched high and low. Thanks for your time and illustrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, my phone didn't have it either. I had to use my computer to vote. I'm assuming since it is an older site the mobile might not be compatible with certain phones. That's just a guess, I essentially have no knowledge about website interactions with phones :lol:
DStuhr

Post by DStuhr »

Liberthorn wrote:
DStuhr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:01 am I’ve searched high and low. Thanks for your time and illustrations.

Yeah, my phone didn't have it either. I had to use my computer to vote. I'm assuming since it is an older site the mobile might not be compatible with certain phones. That's just a guess, I essentially have no knowledge about website interactions with phones :lol:
My phone is my is my only access to the forums. I’m game for any pipe shape. Thanks for your help.

PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Blueprint shape wasn’t really defined but what I was thinking is that I would put forth a blueprint with measurements and that would be one option. The other option is to draw out your own blueprint classic shape and go for it.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

All those that said “I’m in” but are not on the list yet will be added once I log on a computer.
Premal Chheda
Adui

Post by Adui »

PremalChheda wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:48 pm Blueprint shape wasn’t really defined but what I was thinking is that I would put forth a blueprint with measurements and that would be one option. The other option is to draw out your own blueprint classic shape and go for it.
I'm hoping for the Bulldog Rhodesian at this point. I dont know how to draw a blueprint. Of course if that wins and I don't think I can produce yours I can use it for a template :)
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
Massis

Post by Massis »

I think it might be fun if we had one single blueprint bulldog/rhodesian and then all try to make a pipe from it?
thediscobiscuit

Post by thediscobiscuit »

Adui wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:53 pm
PremalChheda wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:48 pm Blueprint shape wasn’t really defined but what I was thinking is that I would put forth a blueprint with measurements and that would be one option. The other option is to draw out your own blueprint classic shape and go for it.
I'm hoping for the Bulldog Rhodesian at this point. I dont know how to draw a blueprint. Of course if that wins and I don't think I can produce yours I can use it for a template :)
I don't think it's necessarily one for one. Even firm pipes vary. It's just a guide 😁
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Massis wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:41 am I think it might be fun if we had one single blueprint bulldog/rhodesian and then all try to make a pipe from it?
Aside from the fun, if the ultimate point of the PITH project is educational, shooting at a specific target is by far the best way to learn.

Not only will you know how closely you hit what you were aiming for, feedback will be several orders of magnitude more useful because everyone tried to accomplish the same shape/line/curve/groove/etc. with different tools using different methods & techniques. Some of which worked better than others. Then afterward, explanations won't be abstract, they'll be real in a "been there, done that" sort of way.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:22 pm
Massis wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:41 am I think it might be fun if we had one single blueprint bulldog/rhodesian and then all try to make a pipe from it?
Aside from the fun, if the ultimate point of the PITH project is educational, shooting at a specific target is by far the best way to learn.

Not only will you know how closely you hit what you were aiming for, feedback will be several orders of magnitude more useful because everyone tried to accomplish the same shape/line/curve/groove/etc. with different tools using different methods & techniques. Some of which worked better than others. Then afterward, explanations won't be abstract, they'll be real in a "been there, done that" sort of way.
I agree with this, but now I'm thinking logistics. Would we take an existing bulldog, measure the daylights out of it, and post all the necessary dimensions? This seems good. I like this idea.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
n80

Post by n80 »

My only concern would be that this could require additional tooling expenses for those of us beginners. In other words, I have one 3/4" spade and one 3/4" forstner for drilling chambers. I have one long bit for drilling airways. If the dimensions are different from that I will have to buy more tools. Not that it would be bad to have a variety but it could potentially add some additional cost.

I'm okay with that. Not sure if it would effect other noobs.
Adui

Post by Adui »

n80 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:42 pm My only concern would be that this could require additional tooling expenses for those of us beginners. In other words, I have one 3/4" spade and one 3/4" forstner for drilling chambers. I have one long bit for drilling airways. If the dimensions are different from that I will have to buy more tools. Not that it would be bad to have a variety but it could potentially add some additional cost.

I'm okay with that. Not sure if it would effect other noobs.
This n00b is on a shoestring budget so that would definitely affect me. Though TBH unless it was drastic difference I would probably just drill my chamber with my 13/16ths chamber bit and be done with it. If not, chamber spades are $16 from VF so I could swing that for one. Any other tooling will likely find me making a jig as I have already done for the shape of a bulldog / Rhodesian stummel.
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

My objection to the blueprint is that I would perforce ignore it.
I freehand all of my pipes and only use drawings/lines on the side of the stummel to do the drilling. I can approximate any shape, but the dimensions will be what they will be. I change sizes and shank angles depending on what the briar gives me.
If called on to make a bulldog, I will make a bulldog, but the dimensions will be what develop, not what’s in the specifications.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

A "soft blueprint" approach might be a simple drawing that didn't have dimensions but still showed proportions and angles.

That way lathe size, tool size, chamber bit size, and briar block size wouldn't matter.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
jpkulp

Post by jpkulp »

Sounds like a lot of fun and it'll drive me to do something outside my comfort zone. I'm in!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:55 pm A "soft blueprint" approach might be a simple drawing that didn't have dimensions but still showed proportions and angles.

That way lathe size, tool size, chamber bit size, and briar block size wouldn't matter.
I like this idea.

To Doc, pushing yourself to get as exact a replication of a particular shape is really a beneficial exercise. It teaches you to control every shaping move and decision you make. This is an important skill to learn in order to replicate even your own shapes as accurately as possible. It can be accomplished doing freehand shaping as well. You just have to choose your briar wisely and somewhat force that shape on the briar. That may go against our artistic nature but i think you'll find the exercise beneficial.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Bulldog/Rhodesian it is!
Premal Chheda
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

PremalChheda wrote:Bulldog/Rhodesian it is!
So..... Carver's choice bulldog/Rhodesian? or will we go with a reference?

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I vote carver's choice. I have ideas I want to explore....
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com