Diamond shank billard

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BrianDK

Diamond shank billard

Post by BrianDK »

My latest pipe
Attachments
1.jpg
(199.12 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by BrianDK on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianDK

Diamond shank billard

Post by BrianDK »

Heres some more angels of the pipe put into one image :)
Attachments
Brians Bulldog Pibe1.jpg
(266.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by BrianDK on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adui

Re: Bulldog?

Post by Adui »

Im not qualified to critique, so I will just say its a really pretty pipe.
I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

My understanding is, a bulldog typically has a bowl shape that is more like two cones set on top of each other, very similar to a Rhodesian. The upper and the lower halves are typically separated by two small grooves. This pipe looks more like a billiard in my opinion. I see the diamond shank and the panels on the side, and can tell what you were going for, but the bowl shape needs to be refined in order for this to be a true bulldog imo.
The other things I noticed are the stem-to-shank junction and your button alignment. The transition needs to be smoother. I had this problem with my first few pipes and found that using a file or a sanding stick perpendicular to the line of the stem/shank keeps the transition flush. Your button looks skewed to the left slightly. Making sure your slot is lined up before you start the continuation of the diamond shape from the shank will prevent this in future pipes. LatakiaLover has a trove of videos dealing with stem work that I highly recommend. That said, an excellent effort in my novice opinion- keep up the good work and make another one!
BrianDK

Post by BrianDK »

UnderShade, you are right thats is more a billard than af bulldog. I only called it bulldog because of the diamond shape.
My thoughts before i startet making the pipe was that it should be as if a bulldog pipe and af billard pipe had a baby :-)

Thanks for the helpful criticig, i will try fixing it and repost an image :)

I hope my writings is understandeble, im also working at my English
Massis

Re: Diamond shank billard

Post by Massis »

Undershade is right, this is not a bulldog. I would call it a diamond shanked pot, as it's far too short to be a billiard.

General execution seems reasonably good, but there's a very clear rounding of the shank face (especially on top), so I suspect you sanded the shank without the stem attached? Don't.
Other than that I'm not a fan of the rounded stummel edges on the top, keep those lines crips. The shank appears fairly symmetrical but not 100%, which is by far the hardest aspect on a diamond shank obviously.