John McBride

Tell us who you are.
Madcapwoodwright

John McBride

Post by Madcapwoodwright »

Years a pipe smoker: Less than 1

How you got into pipe making: *See Below*

Other interesting facts:

I have been a professional Woodwright for nearly 30 years. My apprenticeship and journeymanship we're spent under a former apprentice/student (now master Woodwright) of Tage Frid.
If this name means anything to you, you will have an idea of the philosophy I work from in my furniture building.

I was also a 30 year cigarette smoker. I got loose from them two years ago, and have been toying with the idea of becoming a pipe smoker.
This year I bought my first pipe and some aromatic tobacco.
In learning more about the art of actually smoking the thing, I got to studying the actual pipe, and musing on what it added or took from the tobacco, what characteristics its shape might impart on the experience, just weird "thinking rabbit holes."

Anyhow, as with any new hobby I find myself drawn to, I took to the internet to read more about all things pipe related. The how's , why's etc. I was particularly curious about the nit-noid details of why pipes are shaped the way they are and what they are made of.
It was natural for me to move from discussions of what tobacco Joe Smith was buying and for how much, to where to get Briar and how one goes about shaping it.
Naturally, I landed here. If I'm being honest, as informative and enjoyable as the other forums are, and they are, this was the first pipe related community I have joined officially.
Thank you for having me.
John
DocAitch

Re: John McBride

Post by DocAitch »

Welcome from Baltimore.
You have certainly come to the right place for learning the gentle art of pipe making.
One word of advice- for questions, use the search function to check things out on this data base- odds are that you will find the answers that way.
If that doesn’t work for you or if you have to clarify something, ask away
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
UnderShade

Post by UnderShade »

Great to see a fellow Denverite here! Welcome to the forum!
Madcapwoodwright

Post by Madcapwoodwright »

Thanks guys.