My first attempt

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Mo985

My first attempt

Post by Mo985 »

Started with a predrilled block from amazon. Just wanted to mess around and see how well it’d come out.

I did a bunch of reading and saw all the advice on mastering the billiard first, but I just really like this shape.

I think it came out well, and really want to make my own poker, and bulldog next.

I’ll accept any and all critiques, criticisms and snide remarks, and it may not be visible in the pics, but the sides are flat in the middle area.

Anyone have any tobacco recommendations for breaking it in?
Attachments
23BE859D-2808-4DDD-981B-F6C1E5CF9EE7.jpeg
23BE859D-2808-4DDD-981B-F6C1E5CF9EE7.jpeg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
3AB36AE5-BA6E-4CA0-B9D3-9401FBC535D8.jpeg
3AB36AE5-BA6E-4CA0-B9D3-9401FBC535D8.jpeg (39.22 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
64B9DFF8-4631-482E-BF33-92E906F30DB0.jpeg
64B9DFF8-4631-482E-BF33-92E906F30DB0.jpeg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
1BEA23A9-747B-4B69-B669-2B86940AE4B0.jpeg
1BEA23A9-747B-4B69-B669-2B86940AE4B0.jpeg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
C7D385AE-6086-485F-AA6E-3C40E453A351.jpeg
C7D385AE-6086-485F-AA6E-3C40E453A351.jpeg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
UnderShade

Re: My first attempt

Post by UnderShade »

Not a bad first attempt. I would definitely recommend mastering a classic shape like a billiard. I guess it all depends on what direction you want to go with pipe making. If you just want to make pipes for yourself, do whatever you want. If you want to sell the pipes you make, mastering classic shapes is the first place to start.
As far as tobaccos go, a favorite of mine is Plum Pudding by Seattle pipe club.
n80

Post by n80 »

Nice first pipe. You've done well with the symmetry and the finish. Agree with UnderShade above. My first pipe is special to me even though its not as good as your first attempt. I still smoke it.

Two great 'beginners' tobacco (that I've been smoking for over 25 years) are Lane RLP-6 and Lane 1-Q. Both are popular and easy to find bulk tobaccos. They are mild, on the sweet side, aromatic, easy on the tongue......and they smell great in the room which can be important if there are non-smokers in the equation. I've never met anyone who didn't like the smell of these. You can get them, or anything else, at pipesandcigars.com. Russ Ouellette is very helpful there.

As you go forward with this you've got to decide where you want to go with pipe making. This forum is focused on the highest level of pipe making and the critiques will often reflect that high level of craftsmanship and expectation. And therefore can equip you to pursue that level of quality.

I'm new at this too. Been at if for maybe six months. I've made about 20 pipes some of which got tossed out. I do not aspire to sell pipes, especially not on the collectors market where quality expectations are lofty. I will primarily make pipes for myself and friends (who are not collectors or experts). In that regard all that is "required" is to make what they call a tobacco delivery device. Both me and my friends would generally be satisfied with that level of craft. If it is fairly pretty and it smokes then its fine.

Having said that, I want to continue to improve and make better and better pipes that rise above a simple instrument. And using this forum as a source of info and motivation I have improved and you can too. I feel like I have made a few pipes that do rise above mere utility and I'm proud of them. But I still haven't made one I'm completely satisfied with and that helps drive me.

You're off to a good start. If you want to take it to the next level you're in the right place.

George
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Overall, it looks like a first pipe. That being said, there's a lot of things about yours that is better than most first pipes. In side profile, your symmetry from front to back is very good for a first pipe. The next challenge is to carry that symmetry to the sides as well. I'm assuming you left them flat due to the limitations of the block width. Your shank to stem transition looks decent as well and your shank looks relatively symmetrical (a little bit wavy on the top but better than most) which are both big hurdles for new pipemakers to get over. The heel or bottom of the bowl protruding below the line of the shank is almost always a mistake with few exceptions. If you carried the bottom line of the shank through the heel of the pipe, it would have drastically improved the overall composition of this pipe.

Hope this helps. Keep it up! Promising first attempt.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com