Adui's second ever carved pipe The Churchwarden Cube

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Adui

Adui's second ever carved pipe The Churchwarden Cube

Post by Adui »

So, this is my second carve so be gently. At the same time be honest, even if that means ignoring the first sentence. This is from a pear wood predrilled block. The shape was honestly just because it sounded fun, and I was just practicing. When I posted it on another site just for show and tell I was approached to sell it. I also do not have the picture angles requested for this one, but future carves will be photographed properly. My apologies in advance, I cant figure out how to resize from Imgur

I hope to be at least half the person my dogs thinks I am.

AKA Terry
UnderShade

Re: Adui's second ever carved pipe The Churchwarden Cube

Post by UnderShade »

Congratulations on your 2nd pipe! Here is my honest critique- it looks rather blockish. It looks like either you didn’t have the tools to shape or you were afraid to mess the block up. If a cube was what you were going for, you did pretty good. I would study a classic shape like a billiard and try to reproduce it as closely as possible. Keep up the good work and keep using this awesome forum, as it has been an invaluable resource for me as a pipe maker!
Adui

Post by Adui »

Thank you for the critique. The block was the look I was going for, I have no fear of round pipes, in fact my first pipe was what I called a ball. I've since been told its like a modified egg. I REALLY REALLY screwed the shank up so I didn't post pics of that one.

My next carve will be a classic shape. instead of the shot glass inspired shape (widening as it rises to the top) I'm toying with the bulldog or Rhodesian shape, I really like it and I have a bulldog to use as an example. I'm not even sure what a billiard is supposed to look like yet, but that will be one of my next few. Ordering 4 blocks from Vermont Freehand on the 30th if I get my bonus.hose will be my first full carves as these two were predrilled kits. I'm also getting a drill press so I can drill my own. New and fun challenges for me!

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

Interesting shape. One of the great things about pipes is that almost anything goes. Do a search of tobacco pipe images or go to a retailer site like smokingpipes.com to see both the range of classic shapes but also the weird and whimsical. For unique shapes and styles look up high end pipe makers like Tom Eltang, Bo Nordh and Love Geiger.

I am a beginner pipe maker and am drawn to these types of pipes. If I had a high end collector's budget those are the types of pipes I would buy.

In that regard, making standard pipe shapes has little appeal to me.

However, as in many, if not most, artistic or craft based endeavors, knowing how to do the fundamentals and to do them well informs the creative process and the ability to do it well in turn.

So even if your initial desire is not to make classic pipes, it is still probably a good place to start.

Here is a good resource for understanding those shapes:

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/a-complete ... es-almost/

I also use a drill press for making pipes and do not have a lathe (the preferred tool). You will have to develop a work flow to get your drilling accurate. You will also need a drill press vice that locks down tight onto the press's platform. A drill press that adjusts to have a long throw (distance between the chuck and the platform) helps too. Mine is a table top design and is too short sometimes.

I am far from being fully competent even in my own workflow (just botched a piece of briar beyond repair) but my workflow is fairly sound and derived in part from info on this site. But I'd be happy to share it with you when you get your drill press. One of the nice things about a drill press is that even if this hobby doesn't take off for you it still has tons of uses.

I would say at a minimum you'll need a Forschner bit, a spade bit for shaping the bottom of the bowl (Vermont Freehand has them) and a longer than normal bit for drilling the airway in the stem.

Good luck and have fun,

George
Adui

Post by Adui »

Thank you for the reference page! it will definitely help me in my endeavors. My goal is to enjoy the making process, but Im not rich so I will have to produce something salable eventually or I wont be able to continue without further dwindling my budget for my other love, black powder rifles. That in mind, I will definitely make a few Billiards, in both straight and bent. I do love the bulldog / Rhodesian shape so there's at least a few of those in m future as well.

Thanks for the advice. please keep the critiques coming.

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

I think selling pipes could be tough. I'm not a collector and none of the pipes I smoke are considered "fine". My nicest purchased pipe is a Comoys that I think my wife paid $75 for. You can get other production pipes like Peterson and Savinelli for that price as well. You can get perfectly functional pipes for under $50. You can get handmade pipes from known makers for under $300.

So that narrows the price point for new pipe makers making basic pipes.

I have never sold a pipe and don't plan on it. However, I have donated two pipes to local charity auctions. They sold for about $75 each. But a considerable amount of that price was for charity....not the value of my work.

If you can get $50 per pipe you have to think about cost of materials. Your time may or not be a commodity but also has to be considered. Decent briar is going to be $10-15 a block or more. Pre-cast stems are about $5. Lower end briar will be less but more prone to flaws. And with or without flaws there will be failures you can't sell.

This is not to discourage you. I'm sure with the right market you can break even which is all it takes to keep at it.

On another topic, buy some briar, either kits or plain blocks. It is beautiful, even the lower grade stuff. From the viewpoint of a beginner or non-aficionado pipe smoker/collector the beauty of the briar is compelling even when other flaws exist.

George
Adui

Post by Adui »

Thanks George! If I come close to breaking even LATER down the road, I'll be happy as a lark! This one sold for $50, a surprise offer when I wasn't even advertising.
As for the tools and materials you mentioned in your two posts; I already have a sizable order set up on Vermont Freehand to pull the trigger on after the 30th of January when I get my bonus. It includes 4 lower grade briar blocks, the chamber bit I need, 4 stems, 3 buffing wheels, and a tenon turning tool because they no longer machine the tenons on the stems they sell.

Of course; if my bonus isn't as much as I hope I will be trimming the fat on the order.

AKA Terry
n80

Post by n80 »

That order will get you started on the right foot. I use the tenon tool fairly often. It takes some fiddling and practice. When I ordered mine VF sent a bag of defective stems to practice on, which was nice of them and very handy.

I have also started using delrin more for tenons. Delrin is super cheap at VF and elsewhere like McMaster-Carr. You basically cut a short section, drill a hole through it and glue it into a stem that does not have a tenon on it at all. This is a common practice among high end carvers. Many of the pre-cast stems at VF can be had with no tenon. And if you have a drill bit that perfectly matches the delrin tenon than there is no guess work when drilling the shank or the stem. You just always go to that bit.

You will love working with briar and I have been pleasantly surprised a number of times with what lies within some of the lower grade chunks.

Look into Feibing's leather dye which is commonly used to stain pipes.

Look forward to seeing more of your pipes.

George