What to expect buying briar on line.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
n80

What to expect buying briar on line.

Post by n80 »

New pipe maker here. Just recently bought 4 ebauchons of briar on line for the first time. I've made two pipes out of them so far.

However, I noticed on all four of these that there were at least two large notches or sliced off areas on each of these. On two of them there are three such 'defects'. On three of them these notches are on the top where the top of the bowl would be.

I can 'fit' a pipe into each of these but every one of them is limited as to what I can get out of them because of these notched and sliced off corners as compared to what I'd be able to do if each of them was a complete ebauchon shape.

Since this is my first time buying I don't know if this is normal....or if the seller is just getting rid of stuff he can't or wouldn't use. Prices ranged from $7-$9 each so not a lot of money involved.

There are a number of other options for purchasing briar on line. I'm still learning so top quality is not a priority but if I can expect ebauchons that are not all notched up from another merchant then I'd certainly take that option.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks,

George
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: What to expect buying briar on line.

Post by KurtHuhn »

For that price range, you can expect to get briar that is not "museum grade" as it were. Briar blocks come in a bunch of different grades, so for small money you can expect briar that is not the squarest or most uniform - including odd cuts like that.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Massis

Post by Massis »

Yup, I concur with Kurt.

I've bought ebouchons from 5$ to 15$, and the price reflects the difference pretty well. From small blocks with sandpits and corners cut off, to massive chunks I could nearly make 2 pipes of with wonderful birdseye grain and no defects.

If you want decent quality, buy from known sources such as Steve Norse (Vermont Freehand) who'll get you your money's worth based on what you're looking for.
I've been lucky enough to handselect my briar a few times at Jaume Hom's mill in spain, and the range within single qualities is still pretty big.
n80

Post by n80 »

I have been getting other supplies from Vermont Freehand. Not sure why I bought my briar from someone else. Next order will be from them.

George
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Premal Chheda at RawKrafted also has a nice selection of briar and should be able to help you out.
Docaitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
n80

Post by n80 »

Thanks, that looks like another great resource.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You sort of have to learn by trial and error what blocks work for what you want to make (you don't need to buy XX plateau if all you make is blasted billiards). Some cutters leave more meat, some cutters leave things a little squarer/flatter, some cutters frankly seem to have no idea that you need to make a pipe out of the block somehow! Cutters have their own grading and sizing language, some of which is universal and some of which is specific to a mill.

There's nothing wrong with buying a half dozen blocks at a time, and as a start up guy, dropping 1000 bucks for blocks is just not part of the equation for most. Vendors like VF are great for that. Once you get to a pipe show and can talk to cutters, pick some blocks, start ordering more, it may be that Steve is still the easiest best answer, and it may not - I buy 500-1000 bucks worth of supplies from him but mostly prefer to talk to cutters directly about briar, partly because I enjoy getting "raw" wet wood in and curing it and dealing with it, and partly because I just love the 1/2 English 1/2 Italian emails, the adventure if you will. I buy certain cuts and certain grades from certain vendors at this point, having determined that something about the wood works for what I want it to do. But the only way to figure out what works for you is to try stuff out.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!