Need A Wood That Is Similar To Briar

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
pipenfly

Need A Wood That Is Similar To Briar

Post by pipenfly »

Hello pipe world. Are there any cheap and readily accessible woods that are similar to briar in regard to density? I'm not trying to make a pipe. I'm actually just experimenting with a Foredom tool and burrs. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to copy a sandblast using the Foredom. I've been using the handle of an old hammer to practice on but I'm running out of room on it and I'm sure the density and structure of the wood has an impact on how the tool acts. Briar would be best to practice on but it's kind of expensive. I have tons of old estate pipes that I could butcher for the cause but I've taken an oath to do no harm to any pipe ever again. I've ham fisted enough trying to restore and repair them. This is a super ocd question. My apologies. I'm on a slow road to try and do things properly. Many thanks.
sandahlpipe

Re: Need A Wood That Is Similar To Briar

Post by sandahlpipe »

Boy, I wish I’d known you can just take an oath to do no harm and then never screw up another pipe. I screw up all the time.

On the other hand, I’ve learned a lot more from my mistakes than my successes, so maybe that counts for something.

But to address the briar analogs, you’re probably better off with cheap briar to try new stuff than if you bought Manzanita or Maple burl that would be a near analog, and something like regular maple or oak or another hardwood isn’t going to be enough of an analog to see what’s going on with texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipenfly

Post by pipenfly »

Thank you. I haven't thought of Manzanita. I could get a lot of stummel like shapes from that. I'll also start looking for some unfinished pipe or stummel lots on ebay.
I'm sure there will be plenty more mistakes. This whole exercise I'm putting myself through is because I looked back on some pipes that I though I was saving and had a few "Wtf was I thinking" moments. Bad decisions. It was a good lesson though. I'm slowing myself down, thinking things through and taking the time to get used to the tools.
Thanks very much for the input.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Just look at Vermont Freehand. He’s a good guy with fair prices on briar and he often has practice blocks for a few bucks apiece. He’s also more devoted to the pipe making community than the random people on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Contact a briar seller and ask them for the cheapest blocks they have. Alternatively contact a pipe maker or pipe factory and offer to but a bag of offcuts. I often have off cuts almost big enough to make a second pipe so you could certainly find pieces big enough for your needs.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Buy a couple practice blocks from Vermont Freehand. If all you're doing is testing finishing techniques, you could probably cut each block into 1/4" thick slabs and get more bang for your buck.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Massis »

Ratimus wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:27 am Buy a couple practice blocks from Vermont Freehand. If all you're doing is testing finishing techniques, you could probably cut each block into 1/4" thick slabs and get more bang for your buck.
or simply finish and if you don't like the result, sand it down and try again, until you find something that works. Obviously not ideal if you want to compare finishes, but if you're just practicing that'll do just fine.
pipenfly

Post by pipenfly »

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and purchased a few blocks. I'll cut those up as suggested in order to make a color matching catalog. As for practicing the sand blast matching technique, I still have tons of old junk pipes that I obtained from here and there. They are old factory no names with bad drilling and other issues. I was trying to hold on to them until I was ready to experiment on the airways. I figure I can practice retexturing and refinishing the outsides then set them aside until I'm ready to work on the internals and airways.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Old briar won't sandblast the same as fresh briar so don't use that for your practice.