Crosby Bamboo

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ArtGuy

Crosby Bamboo

Post by ArtGuy »

Hey there guys,

Here is a bamboo that I have just completed. I figure everyone else has made a bamboo pipe. I might as well too :D

Actually this is the second bamboo I have made. The first one I never got pics of.

I did something a little different with the stem. Rather than the tube being fixed to stem and then it inserting into the bamboo. I made it where the tube is fixed in the bamboo and inserts into a mortise in the stem.

The tube only goes to about the first knuckle so I will still get the moisture absorbing and coloring qualities of the bamboo. The mortise in the stem is lined with delrin. It makes for a very secure yet very smooth fit.

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey John,

Nice looking pipe! Awesome work as usual. I did the reverse tenon/mortise also, on my #3 pipe, which was also a bamboo. Although it never crossed my mind to line the mortise of the stem with Delrin...that was a good idea. I can't quite tell from the picture, but is that a stainless tube that you used?

Once again, that is a beautiful pipe John!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Beautiful pipe, John!! Great looking stain!

I saw some bamboo pipes at Richmond by Vollmer & Nilsson, and they had the same reverse tenon deal at the stem.

Rad
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Beautiful work John. I really like the stain too.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
tomgjone

Post by tomgjone »

That is a beautiful job I am looking forward to the days that I can do that.
Tom
lhaddix

Post by lhaddix »

That stain is wonderful. I hope I can do that
someday.

Landrum
Pegleg

Post by Pegleg »

That contrast stain really looks great on my PC! Seems to be quite even, too! Nice work - and only your second bamboo!?! Good things happening at your end. Though it might not be for everyone I took to the shape immediately after viewing all sides. Good on ya!!!
Randy
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

John

I agree with the above statments a real lovley pipe with a sharp contrast and thouse lines really apeal to me the round yet square feeling...Congrats my freind

Best

Love
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
smokepiper

Post by smokepiper »

BEAUTYFUL!!!! i love it....
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Thanks guys, I am pretty proud of it. I think I am starting to get the hang of this contrast thing. The tenon is brass tubing rather than stainless because that is what I happen to have. Overall the pipe is about 7 inches long.

I have another that is close to being finished and will post it when I get it done. I am currently having my web site redesigned by a professional and will officially unveil some bamboos when that site is launched. My URL is of course going to stay the same.