Replacing lost vulcanite stem material (video set)

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Replacing lost vulcanite stem material (video set)

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
PremalChheda

Re: Replacing lost vulcanite stem material (video set)

Post by PremalChheda »

Cool!
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

This raises all sorts of questions for the retail/swap/sell/trade pipe economy. I've seen stem patches like this on occasion, some well done, others not so much. When done correctly, this process can be used to completely conceal a major stem issue that would only become apparent after the stem starts to oxidize again. That makes me nervous. It's one thing to patch a hole in a cheap pipe so it can continue to function. It is completely another to conceal an issue with, let's say for the sake of argument, a Bo Nordh, and then try and sell the pipe as original and pristine.

Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I should, but does the repairman/restoration guy have an ethical obligation to disclose such patches to customers? I certainly would never dream of selling a pipe with a patched stem to a customer without disclosing the repair.
wooda2008

Post by wooda2008 »

Ocelot55 wrote: ... That makes me nervous. It's one thing to patch a hole in a cheap pipe so it can continue to function. It is completely another to conceal an issue with, let's say for the sake of argument, a Bo Nordh, and then try and sell the pipe as original and pristine...
Repairs should be disclosed when selling. Trying to pass it s pristine is unethical, but that's an ethical issue for the sale, not the repair.

I wouldn't patch a stem on a cheap pipe, but I would on a higher end or historical piece to keep smoking it.
Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I should, but does the repairman/restoration guy have an ethical obligation to disclose such patches to customers? I certainly would never dream of selling a pipe with a patched stem to a customer without disclosing the repair.
Imo, yes.
Whether that is detailing the repairs in your listing, or being clear that it is sold "as is" and pricing accordingly.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I found this highly fascinating.

As for ethics, I don’t see a problem unless you’re misrepresenting something.

Personally, I’m more curious where the limits are. At what point can something no longer be added and instead the stem needs to be replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ocelot55 wrote:This raises all sorts of questions for the retail/swap/sell/trade pipe economy.
All refurbishment and repair is in the same conceptual boat. A seller's honesty (or lack of it) regarding disclosure is a human issue, not a pipe-specific one.

And since assholes are ALWAYS going to cheat, I'd rather their work be good than bad for the sake of the pipes. There's often no rewind button when it comes to pipes, and I've seen enough permanently jacked ones to fill a bathtub. (An 11" long, velvet cased, silver encrusted 1870's uber-presentation Barling comes immediately to mind. :evil: )
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote: Personally, I’m more curious where the limits are. At what point can something no longer be added and instead the stem needs to be replaced?
And that question has shadings of its own...

I once replaced a stem on a famous maker's pipe that he insisted was NOT a copy until the original was produced to prove it.

Meaning, if a pipe's original maker replacing/repairing one of his own pieces "keeps it legit," but there are repairmen who can fool HIM, what then?

Whoever thought the PipeWorld could be so exciting, right? :lol: Move over superhero action movies, the thrill-a-minute shit is HERE! :rockon: