Repairing a charred briar chamber (video set)

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Repairing a charred briar chamber (video set)

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Re: Repairing a charred briar chamber (video set)

Post by caskwith »

:shock: Waterglass! But you can taste it, and it makes you unattractive to women, and makes your farts smell funny.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Thanks for sharing this video, George. I was wondering where you get those rubber gloves. I’ve been using the diamond grip ones, but those do seem to have some flex in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Great tips as always, George. It does open Pandora's box to folks who can effectively conceal interior damage. As often as some pipes trade hands a pipe so treated may not be discovered for several owners.

Amateur question here. So what's the difference between this and adding a waterglass bowl coat? I've done that several times to save customer pipes, but only on request.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ocelot55 wrote:It does open Pandora's box to folks who can effectively conceal interior damage.
When "eliminate" includes "effectively conceal," it isn't a bad thing. It's like a reset button for the chamber. Stand-alone concealment, though, is definitely evil. That's deliberate deception.

Amateur question here. So what's the difference between this and adding a waterglass bowl coat? I've done that several times to save customer pipes, but only on request.
The waterglass doesn't flow into/integrate/fuse with the briar to a significant depth when used in paste form. It just serves as carbon particle carrier that becomes (after it dries) a surrounding matrix for the carbon anywhere there's a low spot/crack/burn in the chamber wall.