Acorn...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Acorn...

Post by JMG »

Overall, I feel like I made some strides with this one. However, it seems like every stride forward I make, I notice a lot of tweaks that need to be made that I would not have noticed beforehand. I found this stem a difficult one. Not the initial shaping really, but once I bent it. Before bending, I was pretty happy with it, but afterwards I noticed some waviness in the light lines near the flare. I also had a hard time with the bend as it needed just a smidge of bend but nothing ever looked quite right to me and I'm not overly happy with where I landed.

Critiques on how to improve are always much appreciated.

Last edited by JMG on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
RickB

Re: Acorn...

Post by RickB »

I like it! The bend amount looks about right to me. Downside I notice most is the slight turn down toward the end of the shank on the top line (which is something I do all the time so it sticks out to me). You're on a roll bud!
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I like it also. I can’t really see the ripples to which you referred, but have noted all sorts of weirdness popping up on stems after bending. I think its part of doing business, and it often requires filing and sanding to rectify.
That slight convexity (turn down) noted by Rick seems to go all around the shank- it appears to be slightly “blimpy” but that also reflects the shape of the acorn.
How wide is your blade at the button? The reason I ask is because anything over 0.75” I dont find to be comfortable.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Bniesen

Post by Bniesen »

Huge improvement in your photography! I still say get rid of the string light though, its distracting.