Canted Billiard...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Canted Billiard...

Post by JMG »

I didn't mean for there to be quite so much cant on this one. I think I could have thinned down the stem a little. Definitely not of an English style. 5 3/8" long, 1 3/4" tall. My photos suck, sorry. Any advice to be better, as always, is much appreciated.

RHOX canted billiard with translucent, blue acrylic stem. 5 1/2" long, 1 3/4" tall. Asking $175, shipped. (Sorry, my pics suck.)

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Bniesen

Re: Canted Billiard...

Post by Bniesen »

Try getting rid of the busy background in your photos, it does nothing but detract. Plain white will do nicely, something like this is convenient and inexpensive https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKFWWIW/re ... UTF8&psc=1. A piece of glossy white plastic is next level. You also have too many light sources, 2 or 3 is all you need and make sure the bulbs are the same temp. Your getting lots of weirdness from the tube lights. You can make the nicest pipes in the world but if you cant photograph them well no one will ever know.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'd say you cut a little too much cheek out, or perhaps it's right but the shank is so fat it drifts into the "abnormal" in terms of making that transition look "right".

Billiards almost always look better if you err on the side of being too thin on the shank. You want lots of "vertical" showing on the bowl (and again,what I'm really saying is there's this sense of overall proportion you gotta hit).

ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Thanks for the advice, guys...for the shaping and the photography. You are certainly right that the backdrop is doing no favors. I noticed that the stars reflect in the stem and make just about impossible to really see the lines.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad