Fiber disc?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
kasperbunk

Fiber disc?

Post by kasperbunk »

What kind of fiber disc are you guys using for rough shaping?
Are there any disk where you can shape on the egne with no backing pad required?
Hopeing for some god advice:-)
RickB

Re: Fiber disc?

Post by RickB »

I'd been using a 5" and recently jumped up to a 7" and it's great. I don't recall who made it. 32 or 36 grit, backing is money well spent IMO. I'd used the 5" without for awhile and it gets a little floppy, even at 3000 RPM.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

If you dig back a few years, you should find a post from Tyler with a photo of the angle grinder backing pad he uses.... home Depot special. works great as it's rubber and had some flex....

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
Massis

Post by Massis »

My backing is working fine, but for some reason I can't get the discs flat, they always have big wobble in them, making shaping harder than it should be :(
Even storing them with a few pounds of weight on them for a long time doesn't resolve the issue...
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

The only backing I've found to work well is a plate that you turn yourself. All the plastic backing plates that you can buy are pretty low quality and don't run very true. Get a piece of phenolic resin or aluminum sheet and just cut and face a plate on the lathe.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

What W.Pastuch said. It's not difficult to make your own. If you want a little cushion for the finer grits you can glue some felt to your backing plate.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I have been using sticky 6” 40 grit Diablo discs on a softer plastic wheel. They seem to work fine for me as long as I use moderate pressure. My backing disc has lasted for 3 years and cost less than $10.
[img][IMG]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/150x100q90/907/qM3b1J.jpg[/img][/img]
I had the same difficulty as Massis with the fiber discs
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Don't you glue the fiber discs to the backing plate? That's what I do, superglue the fiber disc to the plate, weigh it down with a lathe chuck and you're good to go, when the fiber disc is worn you just tear it off and scrape the residue from the plate, then glue the new one on.
Massis

Post by Massis »

W.Pastuch wrote:Don't you glue the fiber discs to the backing plate? That's what I do, superglue the fiber disc to the plate, weigh it down with a lathe chuck and you're good to go, when the fiber disc is worn you just tear it off and scrape the residue from the plate, then glue the new one on.
that would obviously work quite well with a solid backplate, not so much so with a plastic backing like mine.
Might give that a go soon by building my own backing plate...
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

I actually use the heavy backed sanding discs that are used on angle grinder. I have mine mounted on a plastic back plate that is just a little smaller than the sanding disc. This gives me a little flex around the edges that helps when doing some slight shaping while still removing a good amount of material.

These discs are very thick and tough and I think the one I use for first shaping is about a 36 grit. It will probably last forever as heavily as it's made.
Pipe Maker in the Making!
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

smokindawg can you reveal the brand of disc and backing pad? Maybe even a link:-)