prince 8/29/18

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

prince 8/29/18

Post by Doug535 »

I left this one natural, found a nice, what appears to be a beetle hole on the bottom side during blasting. gimme your thoughts on my overall shaping. Thanks all!

sandahlpipe

Re: prince 8/29/18

Post by sandahlpipe »

The radius on the bowl/shank transition doesn't match from the right to the left side of the shank. Also, I think there's too much of a "chin" on the bowl. I feel like the stem could probably be a half inch longer for a proper prince as well.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

sandahlpipe wrote:The radius on the bowl/shank transition doesn't match from the right to the left side of the shank. Also, I think there's too much of a "chin" on the bowl. I feel like the stem could probably be a half inch longer for a proper prince as well.
Thanks Jeremiah
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

That little curve in the bottom bothers me a bit, with the bottom of the bowl being slightly lower than the bottom of the shank. most of the princes in my collection are pretty much dead straight on the bottom with the bend restricted to the stem.
I have, however, heard a discussion about this line and some folks think that the little curve is appropriate, or that the bottom of the bowl should lie little below the bottom lie of the shank.
I also think your stem could be slimmed a tad, it seems a bit more full in the middle third and the button area could be slimmed a bit (in the vertical view).
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I'll add that the stem is over bent. Not a lot. But just enough that it throws the pipe off. Relax the bend just a tad and you'll have a whole new pipe.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com