Prince 8/04/18

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Doug535

Prince 8/04/18

Post by Doug535 »

This is my latest rendition, thoughts?

wdteipen

Re: Prince 8/04/18

Post by wdteipen »

I like the shape of the bowl. The shank could be longer and stem shorter for a better balance. It also looks like the bottom of the bowl drops significantly below the shank. That being said, it's a pretty decent Prince.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

wdteipen wrote:I like the shape of the bowl. The shank could be longer and stem shorter for a better balance. It also looks like the bottom of the bowl drops significantly below the shank. That being said, it's a pretty decent Prince.
Thanks Wayne, I used a carre block, so not a lot I could do. I think the shadows are throwing it off, here's another pic.

JMG

Post by JMG »

IAWW that the bowl shaping is pretty good. The visual effect of that stem material is throwing me off a bit and in some of the photos makes the front half (stummel side) seem thicker than it should be. However, in that last photo you put up it looks fine. Nice job.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks John, I had that chunk of acrylic rod and wasn't sure what it would look like machined and polished, I think I like it, probably not to everyone's taste though.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The only thing I would change is the taper on the sides of the stem. I think a fishtail on a prince should be a fishtail only in the last about 1/3 of the stem and the rest of the stem should match the sides of the shank.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

Doug535 wrote:Thanks John, I had that chunk of acrylic rod and wasn't sure what it would look like machined and polished, I think I like it, probably not to everyone's taste though.
I like the material fine...it's funky. Its pattern just plays tricks on my eyes and makes it hard to get a good read on the outlines.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

sandahlpipe wrote:The only thing I would change is the taper on the sides of the stem. I think a fishtail on a prince should be a fishtail only in the last about 1/3 of the stem and the rest of the stem should match the sides of the shank.
Thanks Jeremiah, will do on next one.
JMG wrote:
I like the material fine...it's funky. Its pattern just plays tricks on my eyes and makes it hard to get a good read on the outlines.
Gotcha
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Doug535 wrote:
wdteipen wrote:I like the shape of the bowl. The shank could be longer and stem shorter for a better balance. It also looks like the bottom of the bowl drops significantly below the shank. That being said, it's a pretty decent Prince.
Thanks Wayne, I used a carre block, so not a lot I could do. I think the shadows are throwing it off, here's another pic.

Yep, that looks better. Nice job.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com