A request from me to you PMF'ers

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
seamonster

Re: A request from me to you PMF'ers

Post by seamonster »

Hey George,
I appreciate the latest video on cleaning up tarnished old stems!
I wonder what speed you're running your buffer? It looks awfully quick.
And do you use different speeds for different compounds?
I assume with wax you're slowing way down, but what about the buff?

Thanks,
Jeremy.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I vary the surface speed according to what a particular piece of material is "saying" in realtime. I think of it as feedback.

Shine enough stuff and after a while you learn the language.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

sandahlpipe wrote:1. Contrary to your statements, I think it would be beneficial to see you file and sand the whole time. There are aspects of filing and sanding technique that can't be taken for granted.
2. Links to the products (G-Flex epoxy, etc.) that you mention would be valuable. I took an educated guess on the hockey tape, but I'm not 100% sure I got the right kind.
3. I'd love to see you put in video some of the kinds of repairs you've done and put in photo essay form on the forum. It's one thing to see pictures and read a description, but the technique of how it's done is where I've learned the most so far.

That's it from the peanut gallery. Since I'm not really a repair guy, this is good quality entertainment and education for me, but tangentially applicable until someone steps on my pipe and sends it back to me for repair.
It is polyurethane shin guard tape for hockey. I suggested it to George a few years ago for another purpose. IIRC he said it was terrible for that purpose, but great for other things.

I'm working on a stem right now and rolling through the playlist for the dunhill stem. The video quality is outstanding, as is the instruction. Great job George!