Author stem (UPDATED)

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Doug535

Author stem (UPDATED)

Post by Doug535 »

Ok I'm working on probably my final author for the PITH. I still need to finish getting it symmetrical, I am using a contour gauge now so I hope that will help. Stem is bent with no screw ups in my stem/shank transition, I also did an integral tenon to hopefully alleviate that problem and it seems to of at least helped. Definitely takes a lot of heat and my first attempt on this one I didn't get it bent enough so more heat again. Questions is, are my curves top and bottom acceptable? If not what needs more work? At this time I'm happy with where they're at, but I want to get it right.

Last edited by Doug535 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LatakiaLover

Re: Author stem

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks George, looks like more heat and bend. Yay!
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

While getting it shaped up, a couple pits showed up on the bowl so I had to blast it (dang it). Tell me what you guys think overall. Thanks so much for everybody's help.

Massis

Re: Author stem (UPDATED)

Post by Massis »

Looks good to my untrained eye, especially the stummel. I'd take a bit of the top of the stem, and perhaps even slightly lessen the bend, so that the button is pretty much horizontal instead of pointing down like it is now.