Billiard - Appreciate any feedback

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bluesytone

Billiard - Appreciate any feedback

Post by Bluesytone »

I wrapped this one up and put the finish on it after getting to a point where i feared diminishing returns. I took a little too much off the chin for sure. This was a great learning experience in setting the pipe down in between working on others. Each day i took another look and found things that needed adjustment.

Someday I want to master a billiard and try to put one now in every group of blocks. I Appreciate any and all feedback.
Thanks,
Jeff

my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
RickB

Re: Billiard - Appreciate any feedback

Post by RickB »

So here are my thoughts:
- chin too big a radius as you mentioned
- maybe too sharp a taper in the shank when viewed from above/below
- you could cut that line on the back of the bowl just slightly more vertical where it meets the shank
- I can't tell if the angle is drilled at 90 degrees and the rim is perpendicular, or if the angle is drilled at ~93 and the rim isn't quite perpendicular. In either case it looks like it's too high in the front
- slightly asymmetric button shape, which is something I do too (it's a little pointier on the right side)
- I think it could actually be a little puffier in the cheeks but that might be from you blending the chin... also consider the source on that one (AKA Mr. Chubby Cheeks :lol:)
All in all it's a pretty sharp looking pipe I think.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

Thanks for taking time to give feedback those are all very good points
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

An attractive pipe. I don’t find anything other than Rick’s (and your) spot on critique.
Nice job.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Are you taking off your first stain on the buffing wheel?
It looks like your are over-agressively removing color, particularly around the rim of the bowl. There are a few spots on the shank as well.

600 grit paper allows you to remove stain more evenly.... though it is more tedious.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/