Compressor for sandblasting

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
scotties22

Re: Compressor for sandblasting

Post by scotties22 »

I use the Harbor Freight 2.5hp 21 gallon unit. I also have a pressure pot. I blast at 90psi and get about a minute of blast time before the compressor kicks on. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to blast one of my pipes. If I was to go a bit craggier with the blast I turn the PSI up and it takes about the same amount of time.

I can finally say I am in the market for a bigger compressor!! Just trying to decide exactly what I want and then Heath and I will spend a weekend putting in a 220 subpanel to the garage (which is what we should have done 2 years ago when I got my new lathe).
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

I use a 100l (not sure how many gallons that would be).
Of course bigger would be better, but it gets the job done.
45 minutes per pipe, in exchange for less $$$'s is not too bad for now. In my book, in any case.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

scotties22 wrote: I can finally say I am in the market for a bigger compressor!! Just trying to decide exactly what I want...

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

scotties22 wrote:I use the Harbor Freight 2.5hp 21 gallon unit. I also have a pressure pot. I blast at 90psi and get about a minute of blast time before the compressor kicks on. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to blast one of my pipes. If I was to go a bit craggier with the blast I turn the PSI up and it takes about the same amount of time.

I can finally say I am in the market for a bigger compressor!! Just trying to decide exactly what I want and then Heath and I will spend a weekend putting in a 220 subpanel to the garage (which is what we should have done 2 years ago when I got my new lathe).
I don't know what your budget is for a bigger unit but I highly recommend Kaeser rotary screw compressors. I've had an SX-6 (5 HP) on a 60 gallon tank and a Kaeser refrigerated dryer for a number of years and have had no issues. Big plus: about half the noise of a comparable size piston unit. 220V on the compressor and 110V on the dryer.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

oklahoma red wrote:
scotties22 wrote:I use the Harbor Freight 2.5hp 21 gallon unit. I also have a pressure pot. I blast at 90psi and get about a minute of blast time before the compressor kicks on. It usually takes me about 45 minutes to blast one of my pipes. If I was to go a bit craggier with the blast I turn the PSI up and it takes about the same amount of time.

I don't know what your budget is for a bigger unit but I highly recommend Kaeser rotary screw compressors. I've had an SX-6 (5 HP) on a 60 gallon tank and a Kaeser refrigerated dryer for a number of years and have had no issues. Big plus: about half the noise of a comparable size piston unit. 220V on the compressor and 110V on the dryer.
What's the price tag on your setup? Heath has been looking at rotary screw compressors.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Scottie,
Mine is for sale. It is part of the equipment I'm selling since I retired.
Asking $3250 for the compressor and dryer as a package.
Also selling my blast cabinet. Media Blast brand with built-in dust collector, on casters, 110V. Asking $1300.
Chas.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Scottie --

Jump on Texas Red's offer.

You'll be glad you did, and kick yourself if you don't.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.