prince #1

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Doug535

prince #1

Post by Doug535 »

My first shot at a Prince. What could I do better or different? After looking at the pics I could see I wasn't as smooth on the bowl/shank transition on the right side as it is on the left (working on that now). Any input from anyone is greatly appreciated.

LatakiaLover

Re: prince #1

Post by LatakiaLover »

Is that a molded stem?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

LatakiaLover wrote:Is that a molded stem?

No, and i didn't show my slot cuz it's not the best i've done.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I was asking because of the "inward scoop" along the bottom line.

Looks like you over-cut symmetrically, then relied entirely on bending to get the curve. Your top line is good, but too much material removed from the bottom resulted in that convex/concave thing happening.

Better to under-shape, then bend, then finish shaping. That's the only way to have control over the bottom line:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ ... _id=116671
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

LatakiaLover wrote:I was asking because of the "inward scoop" along the bottom line.

Looks like you over-cut symmetrically, then relied entirely on bending to get the curve. Your top line is good, but too much material removed from the bottom resulted in that convex/concave thing happening.

Better to under-shape, then bend, then finish shaping. That's the only way to have control over the bottom line:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/ ... _id=116671

Awesome, thanks George.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

You can still achieve a clean profile if you're willing to take a bit of shank off on the bottom and a smidge of stem on top:

Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks for the visual George, I may go ahead and give it a shot. But, will I still be able to keep the shank round that way? Or go back through the 180-90 etc...
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

While it would be possible to downsize everything to retain the shank's roundness, the amount of work required would be considerable.

Cut the bottom line so it's unbroken in profile and then adjusting/dressing the shank and stem TO the new line would definitely leave the shank a bit "off" in both roundness and the mortise being centered, but would be much less work.

(The whole "reversible stem" thing is a pretty arbitrary and pointless in my mind---most pipes don't have perfectly round shanks by design---but there are carvers who take great pride in it when a shape allows, so there's no right answer.)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Here's another well-cut prince. Getting this sort of smooth, kink-free, convergence of the top and bottom lines is a gold-plated pig bitch. So much that few full-time pro pipe makers manage it every time.

For that reason it makes a FANTASTIC training ground. Make one of these and you can make most anything.

Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Did a little more work on this, here's where I'm at.

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It’s closer. There’s a slight taper to the sides (blade) of the stem. Either make the stem sides straight from shank to button or make it fishtail the last 1/4 of the stem and have the rest of the stem flat.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

sandahlpipe wrote:It’s closer. There’s a slight taper to the sides (blade) of the stem. Either make the stem sides straight from shank to button or make it fishtail the last 1/4 of the stem and have the rest of the stem flat.
Last 1/4, got it. Thanks Jeremiah
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

The prince stem should be thin and elegant. I think it looks best when it follows the taper of the shank to about 2/3 of the stem then fishtails. Yours looks like it tapers about 2/3 then widens to the button.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Taking small steps here, how am I doing?

sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

There’s something goofy going on with the bowl/shank transition. Check for symmetry there.

I can’t quite tell if the sides of the shank have a slight bulge in them, but I think maybe they do. It’s really getting close.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

sandahlpipe wrote:There’s something goofy going on with the bowl/shank transition. Check for symmetry there.

I can’t quite tell if the sides of the shank have a slight bulge in them, but I think maybe they do. It’s really getting close.
I haven't completed the shank/bowl transition yet, was waiting to get the stem/shank situated so I only have to shape shank/bowl transition once. So you are correct, it is still off a bit there.
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

OK, stem reboot. I finally sanded into the airway for the first time. After seeing how it was headed I decided to lengthen the stem by about 3/4". Here's where I'm at, something looks off to me but I can't pinpoint what, maybe a combo of more than one thing, is my bend not far back enough? Help! I really want to finish this one.