Another author attempt

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
Doug535

Another author attempt

Post by Doug535 »

I'm not totally pleased with the bowl shape, looks a lot more eggish than I had planned for. Anyway, looking more for transition and initial stem shaping criticism, especially from Scottie or Wayne. Of course if you see something out of whack, please do point it out. Could be a nice pipe without all the flaws in the briar.

sandahlpipe

Re: Another author attempt

Post by sandahlpipe »

You made the chamber too wide for the bowl proportions. That decision forced you to not be able to bring in the top of the bowl without making the rim too narrow.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Ditto, nice flush stem fit
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks guy's, I think I'm getting my transitions down better. My stem fit seems to be going ok too. I gave up on using a forstner bit and have started using my parting tool to face the mortise. Jeremiah, Thanks, I now see that Scottie is using a much smaller chamber in hers.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Doug535 wrote:Thanks guy's, I think I'm getting my transitions down better. My stem fit seems to be going ok too. I gave up on using a forstner bit and have started using my parting tool to face the mortise. Jeremiah, Thanks, I now see that Scottie is using a much smaller chamber in hers.
My chambers are usually always 3/4" in diameter
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Usually always isn't a thing, just fwiw.

Proportion. Authors are hard in the first place, and proportion is half the battle on any pipe, so while there's a bunch of good/right about this, there's a bunch of jarring stuff - the shank is more than 1/2 the height of the bowl, just as a quick example, so it's gonna be real hard to do anything but sort of caveman shaping in that area - it's taking up so much of the pipe. I think you want to draw about a dozen pipes, and make the best one, and make it accurately to the plan - plan your work, work your plan as Walt Cannoy used to say.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Sasquatch wrote:Usually always isn't a thing
Usually always makes something like the word of God! Don't you know anything?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I'm married. Haven't known anything for 20 years.
Bluesytone

Post by Bluesytone »

Sasquatch wrote:I'm married. Haven't known anything for 20 years.
This ^
my mouth is the marketing department for the circus in my head
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Sasquatch wrote:Usually always isn't a thing, just fwiw.

Proportion. Authors are hard in the first place, and proportion is half the battle on any pipe, so while there's a bunch of good/right about this, there's a bunch of jarring stuff - the shank is more than 1/2 the height of the bowl, just as a quick example, so it's gonna be real hard to do anything but sort of caveman shaping in that area - it's taking up so much of the pipe. I think you want to draw about a dozen pipes, and make the best one, and make it accurately to the plan - plan your work, work your plan as Walt Cannoy used to say.
I grabbed a couple rocks and a chunk of flint that was laying around and chipped away caveman style at it, now it looks like this. I know this one isn't going to win any contests, but I'm using it as a learning experience for getting the swoop on the underside and try to get my side lines down. Hopefully with each screw up I'll learn a lil bit more. Feel free to let me know what I need to do from here, stem lines wise.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I think that looks vastly better.
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks SAS, any tips on where to go on the stem shaping from here or am I good there? Anybody?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The bend happens too far toward the button end of the stem. It's also somewhat under bent. How much more? The top of the bowl should be a few degrees below a line drawn through the bite zone.

Also, don't take off any more material until AFTER you bend it more (and farther back). The "heat, bend, and walk away" thing only works for saddles/blades. Tapered stems need two part shaping---before bending, and then again after.

Finally, try to have at least one photo in any set that is a dead-square profile.

-----

The lines show the angle difference between the plane of the bowl top and the the plane of the bite zone.

The arrows show where the bend starts and ends.

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

Thanks George, that info helps a lot.