Sandblast guns

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Doug535

Sandblast guns

Post by Doug535 »

What sandblast guns are you guys using and what size orifice? Sandblasting is all new to me, so pros and cons on different guns would be appreciated. I did a search but came up with not a lot of info other than compressor requirements.
sandahlpipe

Re: Sandblast guns

Post by sandahlpipe »

Orifice and nozzle opening affect the size and spread of the media pattern as well as the CFM required. The rest is pretty much ergonomics. I use skat blast guns with reasonably good results. You’ll want to periodically replace the nozzles as the opening gets bigger by media abrading the inside. Just make sure the compressor can handle the CFMs of the gun.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

sandahlpipe wrote:Orifice and nozzle opening affect the size and spread of the media pattern as well as the CFM required. The rest is pretty much ergonomics. I use skat blast guns with reasonably good results. You’ll want to periodically replace the nozzles as the opening gets bigger by media abrading the inside. Just make sure the compressor can handle the CFMs of the gun.
Thanks Jeremiah, my compressor should be here in the next day or two. I have the #13 media ordered also. I've already plumbed my airlines and got my 240V ran and ready to hook up. I'll look into the Skat Blast guns, what orifices would you suggest to have on hand? My new compressor is a 5hp 2 stage with 80gal tank, 175psi and 15.3cfm @ 100psi.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I have the medium and fine, I believe. Along with ceramic nozzles.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you don't already have a cyclone in your setup, a cyclone separator between your cabinet and dust collector will allow you to reuse the media. If you're not already set up with dust collection of some sort, at least wear a dust mask while blasting. That stuff is nasty for the lungs. Dust collection makes a huge difference in whether you can see what you're doing as well.
---

Jeremiah Sandahl
Doug535

Post by Doug535 »

sandahlpipe wrote:If you don't already have a cyclone in your setup, a cyclone separator between your cabinet and dust collector will allow you to reuse the media. If you're not already set up with dust collection of some sort, at least wear a dust mask while blasting. That stuff is nasty for the lungs. Dust collection makes a huge difference in whether you can see what you're doing as well.
I do have a cyclone on my dust collection system and have another one to setup on the blast cabinet.