PITH 2018!!!!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.

PITH shape

Poll ended at Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:31 am

Ivarsson Tribute
22%
Bamboo
No votes
Briar Calabash
6%
Author
22%
Not round shank w/cap
6%
Pencil shank
6%
Cavalier
6%
Live edge plataeux
No votes
Wolfsteiner theme
6%
Lovat w/acrylic stem
No votes
Dublin
No votes
Oom Paul
No votes
Bent bulldog
No votes
Pipe on the PMF homepage
11%
Nosewarmer
11%
Reverse Calabash
6%

Total votes: 18

Massis

Re: PITH 2018!!!!

Post by Massis »

mightysmurf8201 wrote:
Massis wrote: But it's a due reminder because shipping can be a PITA instead of a PITH.
I see what you did there :lol:
Honestly, I didn't until you did :lol:
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Let me just throw 'briar calabash' out there.

Sent from my bloopty-bloop, using hooty-hoo.
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Keep the ideas coming!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

mightysmurf8201 wrote:Keep the ideas coming!
Okay, I will....
Here are a few that have been suggested in years past:

-author
-not-round shank with cap (teardrop,etc)
-pencil shank

pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

CAVALIER!! I have always wanted to make one, but they intimidate me for some reason. This would force me to make one.
Massis

Post by Massis »

seamonster wrote:Let me just throw 'briar calabash' out there.

2nd that, been on my todo list for a while!
Janka

Post by Janka »

If we're throwing suggestions here, then I'm going to add:

Incorporating a live edge on pipe

That could produce some interesting results

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk
RickB

Post by RickB »

DocAitch wrote:We could do a bamboo, there was some interest for that in 2017.
DocAitch
Wouldn't mind having to learn how to do that, though I know bamboo was done fairly recently.
I know that "Teardrop shank with cap" was a close second last year, and that's one I wouldn't mind trying my hand at either.

Previous themes for reference:
2017 - Oval Shank
2016 - Military Mount
2015 - Bamboo Shank Sitter (non-poker)
2014 - Prince
2013 - Farmer's Market (Fruit/Vegetable/Nut)
2012 - Cavalier
2010-2011 - Wallenstein-styled
2009-2010 - Nosewarmer
2007-2009 - ?
2005-2006 - no theme

Also I know one idea that has been bounced around previously has been to sync the theme up with the theme for the GKCPC Carving Contest as sort of a tune-up, though I don't know if that's been released yet for this year.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Isakowitch

Post by Isakowitch »

Well if we're just throwing ideas out there, i know a style that would most likely make most pipemakers really uncomfortable and go out of their comfort zone via that... Christian Wolfsteiner theme...
Soft onions are usually more soft than onions that aren't soft.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I'm in. Business pressures are gone now so hopefully, I won't have to bail.

My suggestion for a theme: Lovat, with two requirements. The briar portion of the shank must be a minimum of 3 inches (76mm) as measured from the rear of the bowl (side facing smoker :lol: ) and the bit (stem) must be acrylic. Any inlays/shank extensions or stem adornments you want as long as the shank has the 3 inches of wood. Any finish you want.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

oklahoma red wrote:I'm in. Business pressures are gone now so hopefully, I won't have to bail.

My suggestion for a theme: Lovat, with two requirements. The briar portion of the shank must be a minimum of 3 inches (76mm) as measured from the rear of the bowl (side facing smoker :lol: ) and the bit (stem) must be acrylic. Any inlays/shank extensions or stem adornments you want as long as the shank has the 3 inches of wood. Any finish you want.
I like the long shank requirements! But maybe leave it at the measurements so one could choose to do a freehand with a 3 inch shank.

And if we're going with acrylic stem (ugh) why not kick it up a notch and require a home made, hand cast acrylic stem??

OR what about hand cast accents of any kind? I've been playing around with casting fabric in resin, micarta style, and I saw some freaking incredible accents at the Vegas show..... pine cones cat in resin and turned... could be interesting.

.... or an author......

oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

seamonster wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:I'm in. Business pressures are gone now so hopefully, I won't have to bail.

I like the long shank requirements! But maybe leave it at the measurements so one could choose to do a freehand with a 3 inch shank.

And if we're going with acrylic stem (ugh) why not kick it up a notch and require a home made, hand cast acrylic stem??

OR what about hand cast accents of any kind? I've been playing around with casting fabric in resin, micarta style, and I saw some freaking incredible accents at the Vegas show..... pine cones cat in resin and turned... could be interesting.

.... or an author......

My thoughts were to keep it middle of the road. The goal is to push the less experienced to do something out of their comfort zone (if they've established one) but at the same time not go so far that anyone gets scared off. A Lovat provides good experience in bowl shaping (same family as a billiard/Canadian/etc) and working longer shanks. The vast majority of European pipes have acrylic stems so good experience is gained in expanding one's market. My personal opinion is that casting your own stems is going to be too intimidating for the group we are trying to reach with the PITH exercise. Besides, with very few exceptions, what is being hand cast these days is not acrylic but rather polyester. Needless to say, one only has to look at V-F's acrylic rod stock to see the wide variety of colors available.

.....or a Dublin......
mightysmurf8201

I'm actually toying with the idea of casting in the future, however I don't think it would add much benefit to this exercise, as it is an entirely different discipline, and the vast majority of pipe makers don't cast their own stem stock. I'm not opposed to making acrylic a requirement though.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
MrGuy

Post by MrGuy »

I’m in.
It might help participation and possible issues down the road to have a list of committed international shippers? Not that you’d necessarily be guaranteed to ship international, but you volunteer to do so. You could pair the volunteers as needed. I suppose there could be other issues with this system if I actually thought out the logistics more than the couple minutes it took to read the thread :? Anyway, if that ends up being the case, I’m happy to ship international.
Andy
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

What about an Oom Paul?
Massis

Post by Massis »

Isakowitch wrote:Well if we're just throwing ideas out there, i know a style that would most likely make most pipemakers really uncomfortable and go out of their comfort zone via that... Christian Wolfsteiner theme...
Except for Christian himself. When I did the cavalier in 2012, I got to ship it to Christian. He was great with his feedback, strict, just but constructive. Unfortunately he passed away in 2016 :-(
MrGuy wrote:I’m in.
It might help participation and possible issues down the road to have a list of committed international shippers? Not that you’d necessarily be guaranteed to ship international, but you volunteer to do so. You could pair the volunteers as needed. I suppose there could be other issues with this system if I actually thought out the logistics more than the couple minutes it took to read the thread :? Anyway, if that ends up being the case, I’m happy to ship international.
Us Europeans are stuck shipping international anyway :P Since there's probably not too many of us.

I'm into the lovat with a long shank thing, except I don't have many blocks that will allow a 3" shank.
This is the longest I've made to date, at 173mm total length (6.8"):
Rshey

Post by Rshey »

Is it too late to join in?
mightysmurf8201

Rshey wrote:Is it too late to join in?
It's never too late! You've been added.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
mightysmurf8201

Any more ideas for shape or theme? I'll create a poll in the next couple days.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
eric

Post by eric »

I'm in.