Ashtray...

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
JMG

Ashtray...

Post by JMG »

I made this out of a piece of cedar from the first tree I cut down to use to build my house out in the bush. Nothing fancy, but here it is.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
RickB

Re: Ashtray...

Post by RickB »

I like it. Is it finished with anything? If not, that beeswax/linseed oil + DNA/naphtha combo would look really nice I'd think. Low luster rubbed finish.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
JMG

Post by JMG »

RickB wrote:I like it. Is it finished with anything? If not, that beeswax/linseed oil + DNA/naphtha combo would look really nice I'd think. Low luster rubbed finish.
Nope not finished yet. I don't have access to quality materials where I am, but I do plan on quite a bit more sanding and some sort of finishing. Thanks for the advice though. I'll look into seeing if I can find these things in country. Thanks for the heads up.

RickB

Post by RickB »

Oh that's right, I'd forgotten that when you say "in the bush", you mean it very literally right now.
What's used for cooking oil? You might be able to just periodically soak it in that (as long there's no scarcity issues), and rub it down with a rag.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
JMG

Post by JMG »

RickB wrote:Oh that's right, I'd forgotten that when you say "in the bush", you mean it very literally right now.
What's used for cooking oil? You might be able to just periodically soak it in that (as long there's no scarcity issues), and rub it down with a rag.
Well, I'm currently in a town (flew out yesterday). Our folks don't use any sort of cooking oil. A normal meal is just a sweet potato or some other root vegetable cooked in the ashes. Hoping I can find something in town.

RickB

Post by RickB »

JMG wrote:Well, I'm currently in a town (flew out yesterday). Our folks don't use any sort of cooking oil. A normal meal is just a sweet potato or some other root vegetable cooked in the ashes. Hoping I can find something in town.
That is so cool.

I mean, maybe sort of gross, but how about nose grease? You wouldn't have to tell anyone! :lol:
JMG

Post by JMG »

RickB wrote:
JMG wrote:Well, I'm currently in a town (flew out yesterday). Our folks don't use any sort of cooking oil. A normal meal is just a sweet potato or some other root vegetable cooked in the ashes. Hoping I can find something in town.
That is so cool.

I mean, maybe sort of gross, but how about nose grease? You wouldn't have to tell anyone! :lol:
Your first formula sounded better. BTW...where in NC are you. My MIL lives on the east coast so every furlough we are up there a good bit. As the dad of three daughters, with a divorced MIL and divorced SIL, I am always looking for a smoking buddy on those trips.

Bniesen

Post by Bniesen »

It's an amazing challenge to think of coming up with a wood finish when the standard meal is a root vegetable baked in embers and ash. First thing that came to mind was rendered Kangaroo fat :). It sounds like your really limited on resources, if you can get mineral oil from a drugery and heat it to mix with beeswax or parrafin that works adequately for a sealer. It turns into sort of a thick grease as it cools, the oil soaks into the wood and the wax stays surfaced. I'm not sure how it would hold up in the heat though.
RickB

Post by RickB »

JMG wrote:
RickB wrote: I mean, maybe sort of gross, but how about nose grease? You wouldn't have to tell anyone! :lol:
Your first formula sounded better. BTW...where in NC are you. My MIL lives on the east coast so every furlough we are up there a good bit. As the dad of three daughters, with a divorced MIL and divorced SIL, I am always looking for a smoking buddy on those trips.
First formula was definitely better. My dad had some kit pipes he'd carved ages ago (which inspired my own initial forays into warclub freehand pipemaking before I knew better). Some of those he'd finished in beeswax, but one he claimed was just a little nose grease every time he smoked it - took on a really nice dark walnut satin sheen eventually.

And I'm in central NC - I'm a rare native Durhamite (I actually still work in Durham, about a mile from David Huber's shop), but I'm living down in Fuquay-Varina these days on account of housing costs/school districts/etc.