My best to date

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
NvilleDave

My best to date

Post by NvilleDave »

This is the best I've done so far--I'm thrilled with how this one came out. I know the pictures aren't the best--I need to figure out how you guys are taking such nice pictures of yours. Anyway, let me know what you think.

Last edited by NvilleDave on Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

That's a beaut mate :thumb:
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Looking good! I like the relationship of the bowl to the shank. It looks very graceful. The shape flows seamlessly from bit to the top of the bowl. Very impressive execution of line.

I do find myself wishing to see more contrast in the stain, but that's purely subjective, and probably because I like to do a lot of high-contrast stains.

What's that shank end-cap made of? It looks almost like cocobolo, but darker.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I agree that this is your best to date! Very nice. I agree with Kurt, tho, that the stain seems a little tame. The only other thing that I saw was a purely subjective thing, and that is that I'd like to see a bit more of an reverse taper on the shank. I like reverse tapers a lot! And I like them to be subtle and graceful, but your's seems like it's too slight, if you get my drift. So I'm not saying I'd OVER DO IT, but it ending up a little thicker at the end of the shank would have added a little bit... IMO. But that does, of course, revolve around my personal taste.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Now that is a very nice looking pipe.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I'm still learning contrast staining--I have problems getting the stain even. I've tried using q-tips, cotton-balls, my hands (you should see the looks I got from people after I tried that) and pipe cleaners but I haven't found anything that works consecutively. Any ideas?

The end-cap is Macassar Ebony--the pictures don't do it justice--It's got really nice contrasts in it.

I was going for a very subtle line on the stem--I have another one on the bench that has a more pronounced taper--if it turns out I'll post pictures.

My nephew is designing a website for me--hopefully I'll have some pipes for sale within a few months! :D

Thanks again,
Dave
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I use pipe cleaners. Haven't used anything else for over a year. The trick is in what you do *after* you apply the dark stain. You need to sand it back slightly, then apply your lighter stain - and the lighter stain should be *much* lighter.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Dave,

Really a nice job! How long is that shank? I love the Ebony ring. I tend to agree with Ben about the taper of the shank- Not much more, mind you, but in proportion to the size at the shank/bowl juncture. I would not get too fancy on the stem on the next one. The pipe is fancy enough. Too fancy and the eye starts breaking the pipe into sections, rather than accepting it as one fluid piece. As my guitar instructor used to say to me-
"Dig?" :lol:

Brad

Steve(magruder)- If you read this, send Dave those pictures of stems you sent me. One of those would be a killer on Dave's pipe!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Dave,

I love that pipe! I love the long shank and just the overall flow of the pipe...very nice. Awesome awesome awesome!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

Dave,
That's agreat looking pipe. I really like it.:thumb:
Check out C. Maenz's bits and also Wolfgang Becker.
(search for their sites)
Both those guys make similar shapes and their bits really work well for the shapes.
Esp. Cornelius. Amazing bits - and in my mouth anyway, VERY comfortable.
Will you be in Richmond?
I'd like to see that pipe.
Best,
Steve
BDP

Post by BDP »

Hey Dave,

Here's an example from my own school of hard knocks to show you what I was talking about.

Before:

After:
I think the simple unobtrusive bit works better than the fancy one. Feedback from anyone?? This bit of wisdom is not my own, but came from Tonni Nielson at the Chicago show this year. I ain't that smart!

Brad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

The "after" bit is definitely the right way to go. For one, it seems shorter and compliments the line of the pipe much better. The "before" makes the pipe look a little too long for itself. It's much more elegant with the simpler stem. I like it a lot.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Hey guys,
Thanks again for the comments and encouragement. Alot of times my approach is impromptu--what I get is what I get and it's usually not what I planned on. Brad I do see the difference and I like the second stem much better. You asked about the lenth of the shank--it's 63cm long and the wieght is about 64 grams. Steve it's cool that you mentioned Maenz because if you look at the pipe that he's holding on his homepage, that's the look I was going for. I won't be at Richmond--I thought about it until I found out Mimmo won't be there--I was going to buy some briar from him.
Last edited by NvilleDave on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Dave

63 cm that a darned long shank over half a meter... must have been quite an impressive peice of briar :P

As for Mimmo hard to say hes a buissy guy and sometimes things take time...

Best

Love
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

geigerpipes wrote:Dave

63 cm that a darned long shank over half a meter... must have been quite an impressive peice of briar :P

As for Mimmo hard to say hes a buissy guy and sometimes things take time...

Best

Love
It's 63 mm--sorry my conversion skills aren't that good. :oops:
Last edited by NvilleDave on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Brad,

The "after" version does seem more balanced and graceful. Nice job.

Dave,
The idea to point out Cornelius was Brad's idea...but it is still a good one :)

As for Mimmo, give him some time. Anything could be delaying a response.
Same for Todd - I bet he is busy making sawdust.

Anyway, nice pipe Dude. :thumb:

Best to all,
Steve
BDP

Reply to Dave

Post by BDP »

Dave,

FYI, Todd has just moved from Conneticut to S. Carolina. I'm sure he is trying to set up his new shop, making pipes for Richmond, unpack the household items, etc... Last I talked to him, he still had not hooked his computer up...

Brad