Billiard #6

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
pmbattles

Billiard #6

Post by pmbattles »

Wood: Maple

My draught hole is off center. Spent some time and tracked down the problem on my drill press, hopefully it is fixed going forward.

I drilled the chamber at a 3.5 degree cant, but for the life of me I cannot seem to make the pipe show it. I am taking wood off in the wrong spots.

On the last billiard I made the bowl walls were uneven and when looking from the bottom it was unsymmetrical, I am hoping that I got a little closer on this one...not perfect, simply closer.

Comments welcome. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_2271.jpg
IMG_2271.jpg (125.01 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
IMG_2272.jpg
IMG_2272.jpg (110.54 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
IMG_2276.jpg
(112.74 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
IMG_2282.jpg
(81.65 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
IMG_2280.jpg
(81.32 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
kamkiel

Re: Billiard #6

Post by kamkiel »

When the pipe is in your mouth, is it 3.5 degrees towards your face or away from your face?
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

I drill it to be 3.5 degrees away from my face...that is why I am so confused about how I am sanding it down.
T. Suominen

Post by T. Suominen »

From the pictures, to me it seems that your rim cants backwards. It should be perpendicular with the tobacco chamber.
The frontside is also too round as opposed to the back, and the heel is also just a bit too rounded. At least these things add to this problem.
Someone with crayon-voodoo might be able to elaborate more :).
When you abstain from shouting, you embrace hearing.

http://tspipes.kuvat.fi
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

The rim canting backwards was a problem pointed out on Billiard #5... I sanded down the rim to help this time but either I still didn't do it enough or I am terrible at taking pictures, cause it doesn't seem as bad in hand as the pictures seem to show.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

The rim may just be not perpendicular to the walls of the bowl. It could also be lighting.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

T. Suominen wrote:From the pictures, to me it seems that your rim cants backwards. It should be perpendicular with the tobacco chamber.
The frontside is also too round as opposed to the back, and the heel is also just a bit too rounded. At least these things add to this problem.
Someone with crayon-voodoo might be able to elaborate more :).
That's the way it looks to me.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Re-think your mathing... that thing points 3 degrees all right, but in the wrong direction.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Like you said, the drilling's not perfect, but it should smoke fine. It's not that bad. Just keep it for yourself. You could trim down the front of the rim some to give the illusion that it's canted forward more than it is, then shave a bit off just above the chin. Then shave a tiny bit more off the top half of the back.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/