Flathead Rhodie...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
JMG

Flathead Rhodie...

Post by JMG »

I don't care for this pipe in general. I think it's clunky. I was trying for something different and larger than my normal style and I guess I could say that on that front I achieved my goal. But...still not liking it.

I post this for two reasons. 1. You guys may see things not right with it that I don't see. 2. Seems like there used to be more stuff posted here "back in the day" and I almost learned as much from other folks' stuff and the critique that followed as much as I did my own. Figured some of the newer guys could do the same from mine.

So, as always, I appreciate your critique and help.

5 1/4" long, 1 1/4" tall, 2" wide. Hand cut lucite stem, 3/4" chamber, shallow blast.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
oklahoma red

Re: Flathead Rhodie...

Post by oklahoma red »

Nice recovery from your stem mishap. One thing is for sure, you'll never know if this pipe is lit or not by feeling the outside of the bowl! What is the wall thickness, at least 3/4"?
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I am happy that you keep posting up new stuff in the forum. I dont think that this pipe is "for me", but that doesnt matter. I think you did a good job of making a replacement stem for it! I know it is harder to make a replacement versus an original. I have really been enjoying your journey and adventures in sandblasting.
JMG

Post by JMG »

OR...For real, definitely shouldn't be any problem with this being too warm in the hand.

Kamkiel...thanks, bud. My sandblasting has been all over the place. I really need to order more medium. This pipe was blasted with a different mix, not b/c I wanted to try new things, but b/c of a lack of medium. Between that and this particular block of briar being super hard the blast came out really shallow.

kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

My personal opinion then is, I think this blast looks nicer than some of your previous blasts. I like seeing the grain and texture, but sometimes when it gets too deep, I think the pipe starts to look "melty". Like I said on your other pipe, I know diddly about sandblasting.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

This is a good looking pipe, but I think there are several things you could have done to maintain the feel of the pipe while making the composition a little more harmonious. Keep in mind these are just my suggestions. Mechanically and technically I don't see any glaring problems.

If it were me, I'd have canted the bowl forward a very subtly. Just one or two degrees. To compliment the cant, I would take more material off the chin. This would technically make the bowl asymmetrical, but it would give it some forward momentum. Next I would have made more taper in the shank from bowl to button. Right now it looks like a pretty consistent cylinder, which is fine, but a taper would give it more movement. Finally, from the top down, I would match the stem taper to the shank taper. Right now the shank is straight and the stem tapers to the button width. It just looks a little disjointed to me. A smooth line from button sides to bowl would look much better to me.

Overall she looks like a sturdy gal. Not hard to sell at all.
Billy Klubb

Post by Billy Klubb »

I like it. quite a bit, actually. I have one in similar size & shape. half rusticated/smooth with a diamond shank at a slight bend. I like the big stummel shapes.
I like the doming on the top of yours.
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
JMG

Post by JMG »

Jesse, I think the forward cant would have been the way to go. Would have made the entire piece less static.

Billy...you look like a member of Dropkick Murphy's. And thanks for the kind words.

JMG

Post by JMG »

I greatly like Dropkick Murphy's btw.

mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I think this would be considered a bullcap, according to the ASP pipe chart, in which case, I think you nailed it. I think the shallow blast works. I feel that it punctuates the heftiness of the pipe by keeping more meat on. Nice work.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

This is a well done attractive pipe. Cutting a replacement stem and doing it well is always harder than the original.
My taste doesn't run that way, but Billy's obviously does. You will not lack for a customer for this pipe.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy