fat churchwarden

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Massis

fat churchwarden

Post by Massis »

Got a commission for a "zulu/dublin semi-churchwarden" with oddly specific details, such as the radius of each corner and technical drawings down to the mm.
After talking to the future owner he loosened up a lot, gave me some example images and a rough size requirement and told me to do my thing. He wanted it half-rusticated, with some grain remaining, an ivory acrylic stem and the accent is African Blackwood.
Size requirements ended up at a 22mm bowl, a 42mm+ stummel width, 80mm-ish stummel length and an overal length of 220-260mm.

Pipe ended up at 43mm width, 80mm stummel length and 245mm total length. By far the longest mouthpiece I've cut so far but I think it worked out ok. I definitely think the overal shape has a better symmetry than the last one I did (especially the cheeks) and I finally got rid of the remnants of the drill hole on the button side, allthough there's still an improvement to be made there I think.
There's a slightly lighter patch on the left side's stain, which I never noticed in person but shows up on the pictures.

I also think my pictures are slowly getting better. I rather like my current setup (Canon eos 750D, 55-250mm F3.5/5.6 and a Foldio 2 lightbox) allthough I'm still playing around with lighting.

oklahoma red

Re: fat churchwarden

Post by oklahoma red »

Nice job. The most important feedback of all: was your customer happy with the end results considering what he threw at you in the beginning?
Massis

Post by Massis »

oklahoma red wrote:Nice job. The most important feedback of all: was your customer happy with the end results considering what he threw at you in the beginning?
He hasn't received it yet as I'm currently waiting for my wife to finish the bag for it, but based on the pictures he's over the moon to say the least :-)
Like most of my ordered pipes, this one is going to a guy I've met in real life a few times, on meetups of the dutch pipesmoking forums, so we sort of know eachother.

I'm quite sure his original ideas were more of a "I can't wait to get this pipe!"-overexcitement causing him to overthink his order by a margin of about 500% :-)
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Is he an engineer by any chance?
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by Massis »

Ratimus wrote:Is he an engineer by any chance?
obviously :-) at least a metalworker or something, he milled me 15 awesome pipeholders for my cabinet :-)