No.8 Poker for critique

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
terryR

No.8 Poker for critique

Post by terryR »

Have been reading all I can from the archives of posts...didn’t realize I could re-finish a pipe. doh!

here is pipe No.8 for me, a blasted Poker. I’ve been smoking out of this one in the shop for the past month, but decided to re-work the stem since it was asymmetric. Still, only 0.177” at the bit, but that sure seems thin to me at this point! I thought my slot was nice until viewed through the camera lens, so I know I need more work there.

I failed during the initial layout to give myself enough briar on the base, so the pipe doesn’t sit balanced. Next poker is already better.

Also, I let a bit of stain seep into the mortise at the stem junction, so the gap there appears much larger than reality. But, a slight catch of my fingernail shows there is indeed a gap.
Attachments
image.jpg
(68.1 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
image.jpg
(63.21 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
image.jpg
(57.43 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
image.jpg
(81.22 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
image.jpg
(79.29 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
-tr
see one, do one, teach one
DocAitch

Re: No.8 Poker for critique

Post by DocAitch »

Keeping in mind that you were constrained by the process of refinishing, I like this pipe.
The stummel looks good, and the sandblast looks good. I like the treatment of the bowl top.
The junction between sandblast and smooth at the shank end is irregular in width and would look better if it were regular.
I do note a slightly "out of cylinder" shape to the shank which appears to flare from bowl to junction, which may be the result of the sandblast
There are wavy lines on the cylinder part of the stem, and you may have been constrained by the refinish. The step in the stem from cylinder to flat seen in the vertical is not the usual treatment and looks out of place on a classic poker.
I am guessing that you cut the slot with a Dremel saw, then cut the funnel. The funnel looks a little wide vertically and this would make me nervous as I cut the thickness of the bite area down. I can see why you stopped at 0.177".
There is a video with one of the guys (J Alan?) who cuts the slot with a 1/16" drill bit in his Dremel. The slot is horizontal and is a true flat funnel to the depth of the drill. The distal end of the funnel can then be dressed with a slot funneling saw. The true flat funnel shape will allow you to dress the inner edges of the slot with needle files. It is also easier to sand and polish the inside of the slot.
Perhaps the more experienced members will express an opinion.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
terryR

Post by terryR »

Thank You, Sir. I feel like the stem isn't as nice as this stummel. Good grief stems are difficult to get perfect! :D

And thanks for any tips on stem work. Yes, I shaped this one exactly as you guessed. Will use magnification while sanding next time! I'll look at more photos of Pokers to see a more proper shape for the stem.

Glad you liked the blast...was amazed how hard that is to pull off evenly.
-tr
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

You are welcome. I am not ready to attempt a sand blast yet. I have a compressor but haven't addressed a cabinet or media yet. Maybe later in the fall.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
terryR

Post by terryR »

I highly recommend the cheapo cabinet from JobSmart after sealing the joints. Got mine for $99. Even has a few tear off strips for the window.
-tr