First pipe, tried to make some revisions! Fixed photos!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Iantkoelle

First pipe, tried to make some revisions! Fixed photos!

Post by Iantkoelle »

I will include a picture of how the pipe looked in my first post. I had another block of softer wood, so I made one from that. Came out much better than this one did originally, so I tried to "correct" this one a bit. It is my first one and regardless of what I have in the future, it will be a little special. (Not to mention I haven't gotten another briar block)That being said, I'm going to leave it as it is now so I can look back in the future and see the progress.

Let me know if I'm moving in the correct direction!

The first time it was "finished"

This was the second pipe, pear, needed to practice. I cant lie, I abandoned it because its not briar and I will not end up liking the finish or smoking it. I know the lower portion of the bowl and the junction is messy.

And finally, the improved first pipe

Last edited by Iantkoelle on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iantkoelle

Re: First pipe, tried to make some revisions! Fixed photos!

Post by Iantkoelle »

Well, alright then.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Too many scratches, don't like the saddle bit-look at standard saddle bits.
Iantkoelle

Post by Iantkoelle »

The whole stem is a cheap plastic.... this was a kit. I want to go to my local shop to get a new one and fit it to the pipe. That being said, my finishing definitely needs work. How is the overall shape of the bowl as compared to before? I guess I'm looking to see where I am fundamentally wrong so that I can keep those points in mind for the next one. Thanks!
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

IAWB. Saddles that aren't sharp look like basket pipes. To be honest, I think you over-did the revision of the cheeks. The original was closer to where it needed to be with needing only a little more definition where the shank mets the bowl. The revision is way too drastic. Find the sweet spot somewhere in between but closer to the original.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

I also think the first version was better. In addition to the scratches (Im sure that at some point you just wanted to be done with this one eh?), and the overdone emphasis on the bowl (which I think is subjectively ok but probably a bit too much), you changed the symmetry from front to back of the bowl. The angles are no longer as close to one another as they were in the first version.

I think you can beat yourself up over this as much as you want, but you're probably better off making a new one from scratch. I think its a decent first pipe...just smoke it and enjoy it for what it is.
Iantkoelle

Post by Iantkoelle »

Taking the criticisms well. Yeah, this was more of a.... let me see what I can actually do. I know now from making this through its different steps where and how I went wrong. I would say its been an okay leasing experience! I did actually smooth out the bowl definition and sand/Polish it. I think I can actually call it done now, ha.