rough shaping mostly done....

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
calsbeek

rough shaping mostly done....

Post by calsbeek »

A little mini brandy for a friend
critical feedback on finishing this one please. Bite zone is still a little thick. What else?
Attachments
Slide4.jpg
Slide4.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Slide3.jpg
Slide3.jpg (63.2 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Slide2.jpg
Slide2.jpg (31.2 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
Slide1.jpg
Slide1.jpg (55.44 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
kamkiel

Re: rough shaping mostly done....

Post by kamkiel »

I would say spend some more time shaping. The back side of the bowl looks like it has a bulge that can be knocked down, get the whole bowl more symmetrical, the top view of the shank bulges on the left and right while the side view bulges up. Get the striaght parts straight and the curvy parts smoother.

Not sure if its just the water splashed on the pipe, but is the white insert on the stem chipped or cracked?

I'm no pro, so the suggestions should just be take as suggestions. Make sure to post it up when its finished :)

Kiel
calsbeek

Post by calsbeek »

Yeah I cracked the white ring while gluing, ended up pulling it out and refacing everything.

did my best to correct the other issues Kiel pointed out.
still a lot to work on but I feel like this is the best I've done so far.
Attachments
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG (84.02 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
IMG_2212.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG (99.93 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG (99.06 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2209.JPG (68.58 KiB) Viewed 1446 times
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

not so much a critique as a suggestion. The stem is much easier to finish if you do all of the shaping and sand it up to around 300 before you bend it. Occasionally you will have to go back and massage an area after its bent, but the majority of the work should be done while the stem is straight. if the bite zone is still thick its going to be hard to file/sand the cruve on the bottom of the stem without creating grooves in the curve. I know its painful, but my advise is to reheat and let the stem return to straight. take care of what you need to correct and then give it another go.