#3 Zulu

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Jakub P.

#3 Zulu

Post by Jakub P. »

Hi guys. I'll be grateful for any words of critique.
It's my third pipe and I think it's good enough ... at least to be shown.
The first and the second pipe you may check on my FB profile:
https://www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/
I have another Zulu in my plans. So I'll try to do it better than this.
Attachments
1.JPG
(137.97 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
2.JPG
(135.75 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
3.JPG
(112.21 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
4.JPG
(115.34 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
5.JPG
(96.12 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

www.nouw.com/jp_pipes/about-me
www.etsy.com/ie/shop/JPPipes?ref=search_shop_redirect
www.facebook.com/JP-Pipes-962144290546960/?ref=hl
Massis

Re: #3 Zulu

Post by Massis »

There's plenty wrong with this pipe, but for a third pipe I'd say you did a mighty good job!

As for points to improve on (from another novice pipemaker, I'm no expert):
- the shank/stem junction has a gap. It's not big, but it's there.
- the rim appears to have a wobble on the right side? Might be the picture playing tricks on the eyes
- what the hell happened to the right side of the stummel? The staining and finish on the rest of the pipe is far above average for a third pipe I'd say, but that weird blotch really ruins it. Based on the facebook pictures it's not the wood and looks like it could've been sanded out?
- the shank could use a bit more definition in my opinion. There's too much material left on the top side (where it meets the stummel) and I'd say it's a bit wide too, judging from the top view.
- I'd like the stem a bit longer with a more gentle curve
- lastly, I can't really tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks as if the bite zone of the stem is a bit on the heavy side too. How high is it? You're aiming for around 3.75mm ideally.

As they tend to say around here: well done, now go make another!

edit: judging by the other pipes on facebook these are premolded stems?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome to the forum! I don't have anything to add to the critique already offered. It's a fairly nice for a 3rd pipe. Getting that stem/shank fit right is a tough task starting out. If you want to look at some well-shaped zulus, look at Rad Davis's.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Revelation

Post by Revelation »

Much better than my 3rd.
"When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints"
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

Much better than anything I've made. Take the critique for what it is. A compliment. Really bad pipes don't get a good detailed critique like that.
Rodney
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

First of all, many thanks for the critique. I'm grateful for the time you spent to help newbies like me.

Massis wrote:- the shank/stem junction has a gap. It's not big, but it's there.
I was trying to delude myself there isn't any gap but there is, a tiny one.

Massis wrote:- the rim appears to have a wobble on the right side? Might be the picture playing tricks on the eyes
Can you specify please? I'm not sure if I understand correctly.

Massis wrote:- what the hell happened to the right side of the stummel? The staining and finish on the rest of the pipe is far above average for a third pipe I'd say, but that weird blotch really ruins it. Based on the facebook pictures it's not the wood and looks like it could've been sanded out?
From the very beginning I knew it's going to be a problem. This spot has a different texture. No matter how long I rub it with a sandpaper I can't remove it. Because of it I want to stain it again with a darker color.

Massis wrote:- the shank could use a bit more definition in my opinion. There's too much material left on the top side (where it meets the stummel) and I'd say it's a bit wide too, judging from the top view.
-I'd like the stem a bit longer with a more gentle curve
Roger roger

Massis wrote:- lastly, I can't really tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks as if the bite zone of the stem is a bit on the heavy side too. How high is it? You're aiming for around 3.75mm ideally.
You are right. It's 6,55mm. Way too high.

Massis wrote:edit: judging by the other pipes on facebook these are premolded stems?
Yup, from Giudici. I need to use it for some time. Next few months will be crucial. I'm about to buy a metal lathe. So hand cut stems are the next big step for me.

Thank you guys for all kind words.

Reagards
Jakub
"Making pipes is easy. Making GOOD pipes is hard. Just keep at it and never be satisfied" - George Dibos

Charl

Post by Charl »

I think you might have understood Massis wrong about the thickness of the bit. The piece in front of the button (the bit) should be about 3.75mm, not the button/lip itself. I always aim for about 6.5mm button height.
The zulu in my opinion, is not one of the easier shapes. Actually it looks deceptively easy, but is not. One thing that I would add, is that more should be taken off the heel, to make a more graceful, flowing line. If that makes sense?
But for a 3rd, pretty decent! Now go and make another 50 pipes.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Hey, not bad at all for number 3. You keep it up and keep applying the knowledge these guys give you, and you'll be making great pipes in no time. I look forward to seeing your next pipe.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Charl wrote:I think you might have understood Massis wrong about the thickness of the bit. The piece in front of the button (the bit) should be about 3.75mm.
Ok, got it now. So in my case it's 4.8mm. Still too much.

Charl wrote:The zulu in my opinion, is not one of the easier shapes. Actually it looks deceptively easy, but is not.
It's one of my favourite shapes. Right now I think I could make a hundred of them without getting bored.

Charl wrote:One thing that I would add, is that more should be taken off the heel, to make a more graceful, flowing line. If that makes sense?
Absolutely clear.

I'm preparing to a second attempt with Zulu. I gathered all the informations from you guys and sketched another one with a bowl leaned forward (compared to previous one).
Does it still qualify as Zulu?
Attachments
IMAG0459.jpg
(237.3 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

That design comes closer to a horn. Try something in between, less cant than the drawing but still less heel than the one you made. If you like the shape just make as many as you can and try different variations, that way you can really learn which lines work and which ones don't.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

W.Pastuch wrote:...but still less heel than the one you made.
That would definitely look better, but I'd grind some material off that spoon bit first. Make it closer to a parabola. Using it as-is would result in quite a thin spot there.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Massis

Post by Massis »

that's a spade bit, not a spoon bit ;-)
Nitpicky of me, but a HUGE difference!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Massis wrote:that's a spade bit, not a spoon bit ;-)
Thanks for the catch. My brain's image<-->name retriever is OK---I do know the difference---but the signals get scrambled on the way to the keyboard occasionally.

Been breathing too much ebonite dust lately, maybe. :lol:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

LatakiaLover wrote: Been breathing too much ebonite dust lately, maybe. :lol:
As long as it's not the stinky stuff :lol:
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Massis

Post by Massis »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Massis wrote:that's a spade bit, not a spoon bit ;-)
Thanks for the catch. My brain's image<-->name retriever is OK---I do know the difference---but the signals get scrambled on the way to the keyboard occasionally.

Been breathing too much ebonite dust lately, maybe. :lol:
I completely missed the fact that you posted this, and not Jakup, so I was fully under the impression I was correcting a novice, not some old timer who should know better :lol:
Dane C

Post by Dane C »

Beautiful piece of work, you have some fantastic grain there.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
Jakub P.

Post by Jakub P. »

Dane C wrote:Beautiful piece of work, you have some fantastic grain there.
Thanks but all credit goes to mother nature and briar ;)