Jumping in the water....

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Jared

Jumping in the water....

Post by Jared »

Hi everyone, I'm going to jump in here and hope it's okay. I am just getting started smoking pipes and getting started in my interest to make them. I'm the kind of imbecile that sees something and assumes that he can make it...doesn't always work out! :D

Anyway, I am very interested in starting to make pipes for myself but want to know if as a beginner I can truly expect to make a quality pipe from one of the available kits. This is of course a pretty subjective question, depending on my equipment, skill and any natural talent, but I do need better pipes and would like to know that making something is at least as good of an option as buying manufactured better quality pipes. Does that even make any sense?

What is your experience? Beginning were you as happy with YOUR hand made pipe as some of the other pipes you owned?

As for equipment, I'm pretty setup. I've actually gotten into custom knife making and have a shop set up for that. I have a belt sander, disk sander, buffer, drill press and various other assorted tools. I guess if I really want to make quality pipes I'll need a lathe?

Anyway, sorry to ramble here I'm just very interested in this idea however I'd like to get some better pipes in general and want to know where to spend my money, if that makes sense. I'm really only interested in learning the process and making some cool, quality pipes for myself right now.

Thanks for this great site, too much information!

Jared
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well, as with all things art: Yes, you *can* make a good, quality pipe from a pre-drilled kit. However should you *expect* to be able to? No, not in the least. If you do, all's the better, but don't expect to. If you expect to make a good pipe, and don't, you'll be very disapointed, and might not try again.

Go for it, give it a try, and let us know how you do. I sounds like your shop is pretty close to setup, with the probably exception of some very specialized tools that you won't need if you're only carving from pre-drilled kits.

What kind of knives are you making? Got a link to those?
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Jared

Post by Jared »

Kurt and random

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I think that was a poor choice of words. I think what I meant was CAN I make a quality pipe (defined by me as good smoking, and easy to use. Not necessarily what it looks like) given the raw materials and pre-work of the available pipe kits. It sounds like, aside from screw ups on my part, that I can.

I'm definitely going to do it, and I think I'll do it now. Random you mention I should look at kit's from a maker named Tinsky. Would that be Mark Tinsky from American Pipe Smoking Company? If so, that actually was where I was planning on ordering from. If not, could you let me know who it was you were referencing?

As for my knives, I do not have any links available because I've not completely finished any as of yet. I still need to fabricate a furnace in order to heat treat my knives, at that point I'll be able to finish and then can post some pictures. Are you interested in knives Kurt?

Thanks again for all the help,

Jared
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Jared,

That's the very Tinsky that Random speaks of. His briar comes highly recommended. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him at all.

And yes, I'm very interested in knives. I'm something of a knife horse - I don't buy decorative knives, I like functional knives with an understated elegance about them. Are you familiar with Ken Onion? He's a favorite maker of mine. I own a few Leeks and a couple Scallions as daily pocket knives. Even mass produced by Kershaw, these knives are of stellar quality.

You're the second hobbyist knifemaker I've come across. I have a friend near Chicago that's trying like hell to get started. His day job seems to be taking up most of his time though....

I look ofrward to seeing some of your finished work - pipes and knives. :)
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Jared

Post by Jared »

Great! I will order a Plateaux kit this weekend.

Yes I'm very familiar with Ken Onion, he posts on some of the knife related forums I frequent, he is a very talented maker. Have you ever seen any of his handmade custom knives? They are amazing.

I focus primarily on fixed blades right now and hope to eventually get into folders, but that's a while away. I too am very function minded almost to a fault, but I really appreciate the beauty of a well made knife...things of artwork in my mind. I think that's what draws me to pipe carving, it's very similar to knife making...just a little more instant gratification if you will.

I can empathize with your friend, day jobs seem to be hobby killers....makes sense that i'm trying to add another, huh? :roll:
I look ofrward to seeing some of your finished work - pipes and knives.
I look forward to seeing some pipes and knives from me too! More than you know!!!!! :lol:

Thanks for all the help, have a great weekend.

Jared
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jared,

Welcome to the forum!

You definitely can make a good pipe from a kit. In fact, as far as smokability goes, you really won't be affecting that by your work. A kit pipe is a pipe as it comes, you just make it look, well, different. :D Of course, the drillings can be tweaked on a kit, but usually the emphasis with a kit is an excercise in aesthetics. I still smoke my first pipe regularly. It is the only one I did from a kit, and turned out nicely, all things considered.

I see you are in Dallas. Are you a member of the DFW Pipe Club? I am in Midland, so in Texas terms, we are neighbors. :) I am a member of the Dallas club -- or at least I was, not sure if my membership has lapsed -- and there are a few others in the club that have or do make pipes.

As for knives, I am beginning to develop a fondness for them. I have one knife that is worth more than $10 -- quite a bit more in this case. It is a custom made knife by A.T. Barr. He and I did a pipes for knife trade:

My A.T. Barr Knife

:D
Jared

Post by Jared »

Beautiful knife Tyler, A.T. Barr makes very nice knives and is a very nice person. I've never had the chance to meet him, but he's answered a couple of questions in the past for me on-line. I can only hope to put out knives as nice as his and pipes as nice as yours! I love that Bent Brandy, very nice job.

I'm not familiar with the D/FW Pipe club. Are they online anywhere? What exactly IS a pipe club??? :D

To give an update, since I'm sure you all couldn't sleep this weekend wondering, I did order a Plateaux kit from Mark and should get it soon. I'm very excited. One question if I may, is there a good site that shows standard shapes so that I can get an idea of what I want to make?

Thanks for all the help,

Jared
Nick

Post by Nick »

ASP has a really good one.

here's the link:
http://www.aspipes.org/shapes/shapes.html
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Jared,

The club is a group of guys that get together once a month for a club meeting, and regularly in between for informal meetings. I consider lots of the fellows friends, and you will find lots of help with your pipe making pursuits.

Here is more info:

mailing list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DFWPipesmokers/

Look them up. I think you'll be glad you did.

Tyler