ScoJo #7

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ScoJo

ScoJo #7

Post by ScoJo »

Here is my 7th briar pipe. Please feel free to tell me what you like and what you don't like about it. The trim ring this time is cochen rosewood.

Thanks,
Scott
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

For your 7th pipe that is an awesome job! Heck it's a great looking pipe if it was someone's 1000th pipe. Beautiful.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

I agree w/Stephen. Very nice looking.
Can we have some close-ups/detail shots?
Ring looks nice and appears that the bowl has very nice grain.
Congrats! :thumb:
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

I coated the bowl tonight before seeing your post. I'll try to take some closer shots once that dries. Come to think of it, those shots were much bigger and I reduced them to post them. Maybe I can crop instead, so the detail can be seen.

But hey, I'm a newbie - so maybe it looks better from a distance!

:D

Thanks for the encouraging words. It means a lot from folks who are so far ahead of where I am right now.

-Scott
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Scott,

Very nice pipe! Looks like it has some very cool birds eye. Nice job.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

So now you got rid of that extra wood at the bottom, you might change your avatar! Seems like that war club aera is past times now! :thumb:

I like it. I like those 1/8th or even lesser bent ones. The bowl looks like it fits smoothely into one's hand.

One suggestion: To my taste, the color contrast between the briar and the stem inlay seems a bit small. Should be the same tonal range or should give some different look. It's a bit close to each others color. Somewhat like wearing a blue tie with a blue shirt. If it's not a dark blue tie with a definitve light blue colored shirt, you might earn strange looks in your office's elevator – or better be caught by your ladie's style police before leaving the house.

Alex
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Yes, when I started I was a little surprised at the color of the cochen rosewood. Not very similar to what I think of as rosewood. When I saw how dark red it was, I considered leaving the pipe natural. I stained it and then sanded it out with 400 grit paper, and the contrast between it and the rosewood was better. Then I stained it again to sand to 600 grit, and the 600 grit did not remove the stain as well (seems obvious now). The benefit was that this made the birdseyes stand out a lot better. The downside is the loss in contrast as you mentioned.

I need to crop down the large photos I already have to show more detail of the birdseyes - I like the way they came out. And this is the first time in my 7 pipes that I didn't have any large cracks or pits.
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Testing cropped photo to see if it shows more detail:

ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Not bad. Here is the other photo:

achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Scott,

Very very nice. The birds eye looks awesome.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

OK... cropped photos are big help.Yeah, the pipe sucks...as I thought. :angel:

Really, it is a very nice pipe. And I like the similarity in tone of the ring and the stain. It is harmonius. I guess you really have to hold the pipe to make a definitive judgement.

Nice clean shape with a presence to the size, but with some grace too. :thumb:
marks

Post by marks »

Very nice pipe. Beautiful grain. You should be very proud of it.