The current state of this forum

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
dgerwin11

Re: The current state of this forum

Post by dgerwin11 »

I am pretty inactive here mainly as I have very little to add to most threads.

But that does not stop me from having opinions. The 2 sub groups that will find this forum of greatest value are the complete novices. When answering their questions, keep in mind they may very well not know a stem from a stummel. If they don't know what question to ask, sending them to search the archives is just hazing. On another pipe smoking forum I am on, there is one member whose posts are mainly links to previous discussions of a question from a novice smoker. Not to be an azz, but to point the member to a full discussion.

The other group are the the upper echelon makers who enjoy trading tips and tricks and yes, barbs. Bannard may enjoy whiling away his time by taking potshots at Ernie, but is ready to jump in with pertinent advice.

My inactivity is due to the fact I am in the vast middle ground. I am satisfied pretty much with my skill level and do not wish to devote the time and effort to take it to the next level. With practice, I will improve, but my objective is to be good at the niche I work in.

So says the Cranky Old Fart.

Since this is the internet, you are free to try to hurt my feelings. Just as you agree I am free to not care if you do try.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Excellent videos George, well done.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

"Thought I'd make a quick video"

11mins is quick?
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

PremalChheda wrote:"Thought I'd make a quick video"

11mins is quick?
Yeah...

The kid who filmed that did a few basic edits, then passed it to me for further chopping. But the only way he could think of to electronically send it was by uploading to YouTube and phone me to watch it and get back to him with cutting instructions. So, I watched it and removed a LOT of footage (as notes), and got back to him with the info. Only then did he discover that uploading had locked it and it couldn't be edited further.

Sorry.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

It isn't that long if you use the youtube feature to watch it in 2x speed. I have watched it several times, and most of those were at 2x speed. I learned a lot from watching, and It has upped my stem game tremendously. Thank you George!
Massis

Post by Massis »

Joe Hinkle Pipes wrote:It isn't that long if you use the youtube feature to watch it in 2x speed. I have watched it several times, and most of those were at 2x speed. I learned a lot from watching, and It has upped my stem game tremendously. Thank you George!
Same here. I'm yet to apply much of the new information I relearned (as in: saw the video when it came out and forgot about half of it :-D ), but there's good tips in there!
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I watched those videos back when George first posted them, and afterwards thought to myself, "Yeah, I've got this now". Watched them again a few weeks ago after getting some good in person feedback at Columbus. Amazing what you realize you miss when you rewatch something after some experience and honest feedback.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

I have recently done some thinking and have come to my own conclusion.

This early in my pipe making I am having a ton of fun and it has become a therapy for me. However, after just a few pipes the lack of skill far outweighs the ability to put in place things pointed out in critiques. That leaves two options. Continue to post pipes for critiques, knowing they are subpar, but what your current ability allows, take the pointers and make notes to try to obtain the skills enough to implement the . or . . . Stop posting pipes and keep making them until you feel your skill level is high enough to get critiques and actually put to good use the advice you receive.

If I know I'm making shit pipes this early on,but I'm having fun nonetheless, it doesn't make much sense posting them up and wasting other members time just rehashing how garbage it is. I thought initially this was the best way to improve quickly, but it has just taken a lot of the fun out of it. With limited tools, you can only progress at a certain pace and only by making pipe after pipe and obtaining the skills along the way.

I guess what I'm deducing from my diatribe above is that I don't think it is the bantering that is keeping people away. I think it has more to do with the steep learning curve of entry into getting your pipe making skills up enough to actually benefit from critiques and put them to good use.

I stand defeated personally, will continue to make pipes, but probably not post pics for critiques until I can utilize the advice properly.
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

You are over-thinking it.

Just do the pipe making equivalent of learning scales and simple songs when learning a musical instrument: don't try to do something inventive, COPY something that's already good.

If you do that, feedback is unnecessary because you are already holding it in your other hand. Compare. Do they match? Yes = you did good. No = you missed.

Repeat until you can replicate anything (within reason) that you see.

Then you are ready to design and execute your own stuff, and showing it to the experts here will have value.
clickklick

Post by clickklick »

George, that is wonderful advice!

Most of the pipes I have on hand are Rad Davis!
Acting like a loon in the front yard, close to the road.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

clickklick wrote:George, that is wonderful advice!

Most of the pipes I have on hand are Rad Davis!
Rad's pipes are excellent copy subjects. He stuck to practical, accessible, no-frills, well-balanced designs, executed them well, and was very consistent.

The only shape he made regularly that I wouldn't recommend using as a pattern to start with are his bulldogs. Especially the flatter, saucer-shaped ones. Those are tough. I'd start with one of his cuttys or a billiard or apple variant.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I think not posting every pipe is a good thing. Post one and then make a few more trying to correct the mistakes. Then post another one when you're confident you've gotten those things corrected. The learning process does take time and patience. I figure if Sixten took 3 years to learn all he knew, it's gonna take me probably twice as long to get half as good. Not having all the tools right off the bat is a good thing in the long run because it takes innovation and creativity to work with a handicap. Keep working on it and don't give up. The fun comes and goes as you progress.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com