Tamps...

We all make stuff other than pipes, so here's a place where "anything goes" as far as showing off some of your projects and other hobbies.
JMG

Tamps...

Post by JMG »

I had to fly out of the tribe a couple weeks early due to dengue fever, but since I'm out here I thought I would offer up my only ties to the pipe world for your inspection and critique. No power tools used except for the chainsaw I used to slab the tree the wood came from. Other than that just a pocket knife, files and sand paper.

The black color is from crushed rock that is the most common rock in the Hewa village where I live and the white'ish colored one is crushed quartz that I find along the creek banks there. One of the tampers I tried to carve in the likeness of a tribal, grass roofed hut and it was colored with the juice of a local mulberry type fruit. I can't say I'm much of a "whittler" but it's a relaxing thing to do at the end of the day here. I can't find anything higher than 220 grit paper so the wood is still a bit fuzzy. I may wait until I come back Stateside and sand them more then and buff them up, but that will be another year and a half so we'll see.

Oh, and that was my first attempt inlay crushed rock. I had no idea what I was doing so any pointers you want to offer, please feel free to do so. I could have filled in the gaps, but the cragginess just seemed fit with the place that they came from. Anywho, here you go...

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
taharris

Re: Tamps...

Post by taharris »

Those are pretty cool, but what's really cool is knowing that you are still alive and seem to be doing OK.

Glad to hear from you!

Todd

PS I really like the crushed rock inlay.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

I'm with Todd on this one! Those tampers are pretty cool, especially considering your tools, but I'm relieved that you are getting proper care. Please get well soon!
Effe

Post by Effe »

Beautyfoul work!
Deep Blue sea @ sky..freedom for the Soul..
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Great job (staying alive) You have done well Sir!!! :thumbsup: