Larger blocks & pipe shapes

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
mejoshee

Larger blocks & pipe shapes

Post by mejoshee »

I suppose you could look at selecting a briar block in two ways: Pick a shape you want to make, then find a suitable block among your stash. Or, pick a block, go at it a little and see what speaks to you.

I'd up until now done it mostly the 1st way, usually choosing something that makes sense for what I "feel like" making. But, I have a couple awesomely large blocks that would like to become pipes eventually. I don't have a home for them yet and I don't have a particular shape in mind. One is a half-moon, the other a very large almost 4" wide giant; both plateaux blocks.

Say what you will about drill-first or shape-first, but what's a good way to be inspired for random blocks without a clear shape goal in mind?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" --Newton

Thank you all for giving me standards to aspire to!
mightysmurf8201

Re: Larger blocks & pipe shapes

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

For me, it depends on the shape. Right now my production revolves around 3 shapes, for the most part. My military pot I only do black rusticated so I can use any block. I do a Devil Anse smooth or rusticated, so I can plan to do either depending on what block I have available, or change it depending on what the block yeilds. Lastly I do a straight Dublin, only smooth and only straight grain. I've recently chosen to go with this system mainly so that I can focus on perfecting a select few shapes before branching out too much, but it also gives me the option to use any block at any particular time.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Most of the time I don't have a shape in mind when I start a pipe. I just sort through blocks and look at the grain to find the pipe. Once I find a block I'll rough some sketches on it to see what I can come up with and go from there. Sometimes it doesn't work out and I move on to another block.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I draw the pipe I want to make, then go find a block to make it with, 90 percent of the time.

Occassionally I'll find a block that just says "make a ________ out of me" and I just go do that.

One of the things that you'll learn as you go is what kinds of shapes of blocks offer in terms of pipes that come out nicely.

That half moon will make a superb cutty, for example, and you'll throw out a TON of the block but who cares about that - get a great pipe out of it! The idea is not to maximixe the wood usage, but rather to pull the very best pipe you can get out of any particular block.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

It depends on my mood how I choose a block. Most of the time, I have a shape drawn out and look for a block that has grain that will go well with my shape. Sometimes, when I'm looking through blocks, the grain will inspire me to make something unique.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Wait a second.... the briar you guys use has grain???
andrew

Post by andrew »

No, we paint on the stripes like everyone else ;)
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I get dizzy at 200 lines drawn; But how else wood you get a Zebra pipe? :D
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

pipedreamer wrote:I get dizzy at 200 lines drawn; But how else wood you get a Zebra pipe? :D
I guess I am not as committed as the rest of you :(